Frozen Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can fish get sick or parasites from Frozen foods like Blood Worms or Brine Shrimp?

Thanks

My elephant nose has been fine with frozen food, he's ate it for over a year without issues. I feed it twice daily to him :)

I know my hikari frozen food say's to be assured to have no parasites or contamination, so I'm confident it doesn't, and if it does, you can report it to them and they can somewhat compensate you, but I never had issues either with frozen food. BloodWorms, Krill, BrineShrimp and BeefHearts is what I use.

I noticed the last ones I got said it was treated with radiation

Can fish get sick or parasites from Frozen foods like Blood Worms or Brine Shrimp?

Thanks

They certainly can, especially with bloodworms since they have a exoskeleton that is hard to digest and process and could potentially get stuck in the intestinal tracks irritating the walls allowing flagellated protazoas to take hold causing digestive issues. I don't feed any frozen foods or supplement anything else but NLS.

Thanks everyone. I thought frozen were safe. I've just has some wonky stuff going on in multiple tanks. Thinking it out.

freeze dried is safe because the parasites can not survive in the dried out state, however frozen they can, freezing does not kill the parasites, though most companys like hikari treat the food other ways to kill parasites, though the risk is always their when it comes to frozen foods.

Back
Top Bottom