Frozen Foods- How long do they stay edible ......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JeffreyL

Aquarium Advice Freak
after thawing. Specifically frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. A frozen cube of either is way more than I need in a day. Cutting the cubes just butchers the bloodworms into small pieces. And then the angel & the apistos are not happy with me.

So if I thaw a whole cube how long can I expect it to remain fresh & edible in the fridge?? To the fish, that is.

This is really a great question! Most people don't realize that food poisoning is possible when feeding fish. Frozen food that has thawed and then been refrozen is potentially dangerous to your fish.

The best thing to do is to cut the cube in half while still frozen. Rinse the portion to be served in a fine mesh net, and return the unused portion to the freezer to be used the next feeding.

Depending on your serving schedule i have left have cubes of masquito larvae in my fridge for a 12hrs or so to space out morning and night feeding

I treat frozen fish foods the same way I treat frozen meats that I eat myself. Once they're thawed, I either consume or toss within a day.

QTOFFER said:
I treat frozen fish foods the same way I treat frozen meats that I eat myself. Once they're thawed, I either consume or toss within a day.

Same with me, if I have left-overs. But if I had fewer fish, or smaller fish, I would cut the cube in half and just thaw half of it in a bowel of water. Then pour into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom