Frustrations about not having the time for all the tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Anyone else having the issue of not being able to quite squeeze in all the fish / tank hobby projects because of other commitments to your time?

I have a few cool things I would love to "play" with like scaping and different tanks, breeding projects, new fish and shrimp tanks, Bettas, etc.

But unfortunately life has other directions and the 5 tanks I have now should be 2 or 3 tanks because I can barely squeeze the time to take care of the fish but then if any issues with the tanks come up (like equipment failure this week) it messes with the other things required and expected.

Not enough time for as much fun stuff with the hobby.

If I didn't have to WORK I could spend more quality time on my tanks. And for some reason my husband and dog expect to have family time and love my cooking. And CHRISTMAS [emoji319] is just killing my tank time. All the baking, shopping and decorating. Looking forward to after New Years and hoping for a cold rainy few months to stay inside and play fish tanks and watch them more.

I know, I know - so many fish to keep and not enough time or space. And when stuff starts going wrong it just never seems to be one thing.

I wonder how many people give up tanks in the first year? There's always a never ending supply of second hand tanks for sale here but I optimistically assume they are upgrading.

I was just thinking too that tanks together should be less work? Kind of like a divided tank except the divider is just a little wider.

I am working out a seasonal schedule for my fish room. I do not have enough time for my breeding efforts in the summer as I use 12-16 hours a day for work very often.The week ends give me time to change water on my 1,000+ g, necessary maintenance, and not a lot else.:whistle:
My schedules slows in the Winter and my fish think it is their breeding season then also! They think they are still in South America [don't tell them!]:facepalm:
So all Summer I get by raising and maintaining and it goes well,but does not feel as rewarding?The fish do grow!
In the Winter it is ON and I pull eggs almost daily and get to all my projects I have dreamed of and hopefully stocked up for. They say when you have time you don't have money and when you have money you don't have time!
I stock up for when I am "poor"!
I love the Winter besides it being -12 here this am!
The fish room is WAY more comfy this time of year for me!:dance:
I always feel like I should spend more time on everything...But all work and no play makes bandit a bored fish keeper.....

I'm retired never a dull moment always something going on between drs appointments
baby sitting the old working on cars opps scratch that got a new one :D . painting wifes moms bedroom finishing the master downstairs for us
tons of shopping wrapping never seems to end .almost forgot putting up the tree, I plan time for my tanks than something comes up . fun fun fun
.maybe get some extra time next year
Save

Glad to see I am in good company either way.

One recent trip to a hobby turned business fish room with maybe ~100 tanks and operator said about 5-7 hours of water change, substrate cleaning, plus fishy type meal prep!!! Then the other stuff associated with fish keeping and then business too.

I am feeling better in general but hoping for some good homes for the extra of the inhabitants during the next aquarium club meeting in Jan.

One of the hard things right now is just thinking through what I will miss if it went away and what I won't (or might not). Then what is easy to get later and what I should keep because it is expensive or hard to come by.

As an example I have 5 A/C 20 filters because of the Edge tanks, was only using 2 then had 2 in the storage closet. Bought a new one and ended up using parts from the others and got some running for back ups. So it woulda been a pain looking for a impeller and an o - ring and a motor and having to order them, would have probably been the cost of a new one with shipping. So where to draw the line on those kinds of things.

Started re organizing the fish room closet. I need a new shelf too. Thinking of trying the "keep the best, get rid of the rest".

Glad to see I am in good company either way.

Started re organizing the fish room closet. I need a new shelf too. Thinking of trying the "keep the best, get rid of the rest".

One closet? I have attic or two with old fish stuff...Think I will ever need the UG plates for a 135?:nono:Or the 27 hex tank? Boy I hate them!
It would be cool if all the 'junk' went to good use..I have given away tons of marine equipment but the FW stuff just doesn't have the same following.

I can't get rid of it if I still have room, seems as soon as throw something away, you will shortly be in need of it!:facepalm:
I too have been cleaning and organising..Possibly it is just that time of year in the fish room?

Holidays + homeschool + child with migraines + child who plays cello + squirrels in the attic + Airedale + temple stuff.... So much.

Being an artist, I usually make gifts. We also have very strict dietary needs in our family, so there is no buying prepared food without dropping major coin.

I miss my tank gazing.

Just saw this again AND wouldn't you know it nothing really has improved. If anything I have made it worst! oh no what have I done, lol!

Lol - still slowly spreading out and taking over more drawers here with stuff I don't need. The local society has a library so I've borrowed some discus books (yet to read, mostly just checking out great pictures).

No Time

Anyone else having the issue of not being able to quite squeeze in all the fish / tank hobby projects because of other commitments to your time?

I have a few cool things I would love to "play" with like scaping and different tanks, breeding projects, new fish and shrimp tanks, Bettas, etc.

But unfortunately life has other directions and the 5 tanks I have now should be 2 or 3 tanks because I can barely squeeze the time to take care of the fish but then if any issues with the tanks come up (like equipment failure this week) it messes with the other things required and expected.

Not enough time for as much fun stuff with the hobby.

Aut...

Dealt with the same issue several years ago. Decided to let the tanks do more of the work of filtration, which is the most time consuming part of tank maintenance. If the tanks didn't require large, frequent water changes, they'd be easier to care for. Introduced more land plants that will constantly filter the water. Water changes really aren't needed, only top offs and the fish are as healthy and thriving as ever. I still change most of the tank water, but not nearly as often. The plants require a little maintenance, but the fish take care of feeding the plants.

May even have enough time to add a couple of larger tanks to the mix. The open tanks have created a nice bit of humidity to the house as well.

B

Aut...

Dealt with the same issue several years ago. Decided to let the tanks do more of the work of filtration, which is the most time consuming part of tank maintenance. If the tanks didn't require large, frequent water changes, they'd be easier to care for. Introduced more land plants that will constantly filter the water. Water changes really aren't needed, only top offs and the fish are as healthy and thriving as ever. I still change most of the tank water, but not nearly as often. The plants require a little maintenance, but the fish take care of feeding the plants.

May even have enough time to add a couple of larger tanks to the mix. The open tanks have created a nice bit of humidity to the house as well.

B

Been following a friend in Longmont's progress with a lovely planter type set up and lattice back for the plants to grow up and he has had ups and downs with the progress learning curve on the DIY pump and top off or ferts can't remember it has been a long time going.

Just like seeing your tanks BB. I have enjoyed watching the plants /pics you have in your tanks. Used to use the same premise in the 2-3G Betta vases I kept back in the early 2000's. Very happy plants.

Perhaps will consider something like that in the future. Not too sure I want to care for anymore house plants, still trying to cut back on things to take care of, or at least pick and choose carefully ;) Thank you!

Time can be a big factor with this hobby. When I was running my high light planted build, I found that I couldn't give the time that my tank needed. I can get bored with my tank (I only have one and really don't have room for another), so I decided to go low maintenance and get cool semi-rare plants, as well as having the tank be medium/high tech (just low in terms of lighting). Once my tank gets settled again, I'll probably put in 30 minutes of maintenance a week.

Time can be a big factor with this hobby. When I was running my high light planted build, I found that I couldn't give the time that my tank needed. I can get bored with my tank (I only have one and really don't have room for another), so I decided to go low maintenance and get cool semi-rare plants, as well as having the tank be medium/high tech (just low in terms of lighting). Once my tank gets settled again, I'll probably put in 30 minutes of maintenance a week.

30 min. That would be nice!!!

It just seems something is always going awry, few weeks ago had one power supply over heat another fall apart (though I wasn't completely surprised as the case had dropped and cracked), and loss of the big light caused a catastrophic loss, giant Crypt plant to melt and mess up the whole tank.

Then for the last month, unexpected Angel, Platy and Ancistrus fry 2 weeks in a row then more Angels, then more Ancistrus.

Many people would be so thrilled and I am a little thrilled, but just don't have the time for the side adventures. Which is sad all on it's own.

Lots of unplanned things happened recently. So I can see the axis tilt and my world is spinning outta control, hahaha - a small amount of dramatic effect there!

Last edited:
Was gonna clean tanks today but played landscaper instead. I got done by 5 but too worn out to carry buckets.

Was gonna clean tanks today but played landscaper instead. I got done by 5 but too worn out to carry buckets.

Ditto :cool:

Was gonna clean tanks today but played Babysitter instead. I got done by 6 cooked dinner now too worn out to carry buckets. :blink:

I weeded and cleaned the kitchen and did 3 loads of dishes Baby sat a little too, lol, but a baby, and laundry, cleaned out the car and worked - too tired now!

This is why I like the 6 & 12G tanks, 1 or 2 gallons of water and I am done!

Auto water changer needed asap!!!

I was 10 minutes off of my 30 minute water change expectation. Yesterday's water change took about 40 minutes. Scrubbing the glass and trimming decaying/old leaves contributed to that. From what I remember with high tech and all of the stem plants, water changes and maintenance could take up to an hour and a half. I couldn't imagine having multiple high tech planted tanks, or even a reef tank right now!

Back
Top Bottom