fry goodbye and Nitra-zorb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elwood

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two questions.
1. What can I use to keep fry from going up the intake of my filter?
(AC 110)
2. If I use a Nitra Zorb type of product in my AC filter will I prevent the bacterial growth necessary for bio-filtering? Due to the absorbtion of the ammonia.

1. You can use a filter sponge cut to go over the filter intake, or a clean pair of pantyhose, or buy a premade pre filter.

2. I never use Nitra Zorb, honestly don't know. I don't find these types of products particularily helpful.

You can put a sponge or a stocking over the filter intake, but in my experience, the fry have little problems overcoming the suction from most filters.

i have pantyhose over the intake of my guppy tank, and have frequently seen fry get caught hard against the intake, then struggle to get free. so i'm sure they'd get sucked in if it wasn't there.

zenkatydid said:
i have pantyhose over the intake of my guppy tank, and have frequently seen fry get caught hard against the intake, then struggle to get free. so i'm sure they'd get sucked in if it wasn't there.

How small are Guppy fry compared to Platy fry? My Platy fry seem to do okay which is why I thought most fry would do fine. I stand corrected.

I have the ac110 and molly fry are passing through the intake. Some actually live at the bottom of the filter media chamber long enough to be rescued. I was given a section of very course pond filter media at my LFS. We will see how it works.

1. I use some filter batting that I got at petsmart - comes in a big sheet folder up in a bag. I cut a strip a bit wider than the intake and a bit longer than the circumference of the intake, and wound it around, and used some zip ties to keep it snugly over the intake.

2. nitra-zorb absorbs nitrates, not ammonia or nitrites, IIRC. In anyevent, the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate absorbing material can only abosrb so much. Most of it will be rated at like 4ppm reduction per 10G of water per liter of media, or something like that. Once it's fully absorbed, it won't absorb more. At that point, it will just become a place for bacteria to grow on, since most of that stuff is quite porous.

Back
Top Bottom