Fry Tank Filter Not Working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
My filter for my fry tank runs on an air pump, which the one I have is not strong enough to work the filter and the airline tubing that I have in the tank also. Tomorrow evening, I will go and get a stronger air pump for that tank. I just put eggs in it about two hours ago. Will the tank be fine with just the air tubing for one day? Will I need to do anything different to keep everything alright for the eggs? I just completely cleaned the bottom of the tank. No more gravel (was planning to use just enough to hold down an airstone, but the pump is too weak). All fish poop from the DG that it was holding in time-out was cleaned up, except I possibly could have missed a turd in there. I have Seachem Prime for water conditioner.

Ok. I'll share my moment of supreme intelligence last night with you.

So, I got an air pump that was twice as strong as my old one that apparently is useful only for quarantine tanks with a small airstone. The new one is for 20-60 gallons.

I replaced the air pump, put an airstone over the airline tubing that was for the bubbles since I knew it would come out a lot better and stronger, and let the whole thing go for a little bit - maybe 30-45 minutes. I did a water change in the main tank, discovering that I desperately need to clean that filter cartridge about 50 times - there was a good inch plus of gunk built up on it. I almost gave up and took it to the sink, but I didn't. It is gross.

Then I go to the fry tank. My gravel vac is a lot bigger now since my other one decided to break on me. Walmart doesn't sell the little ones, which I like better than this monster. I say, use the turkey baster to suck up the spinning dirt that keeps popping up out of nowhere. Well, with the stronger air bubbler, the water moves a lot more, making it significantly harder to catch them. I got several of them out, though.

Then I noticed that the filter still wasn't working.

I think to myself: "It's on a 60 gallon air pump! What the *heck* is wrong with this thing!"

Got clever and checked the filter intake for the first time. The intake was clogged and the pantyhose weren't pulled tight, so nothing was going through them.

Two finger swipes and a pantyhose adjustment later, and it works like new.

Yes, I know. That was an ingenious moment. :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom