fuge substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've ready many times that Miracle Mud isn't anything special. A few of the veterans on here have used it and didn't see any differences, one even found pieces of red brick in the mud (leading him to believe it was from someone's backyard). The conclusion in previous threads was to not waste money on it. A DSB will work just fine.

Last edited:
don't even bother using a DSB in a 6 gallon fuge, you will see no benefits to it, unless your fuge section is 36x12 there is no point to it

Last edited:
just stick with LR and LR rubble with micro algaes and if you want just sprinkle 1/2" of sand for a bit of extra filtration

Thanks I wasn't really thinking dsb for the same reason you mentioned but miracle mud was definately one of my options since I had never used it before. Ill probably go with the thin substrate and rocks unless someone else has a reason why I shouldn't.

I have the miracle mud with a layer of sand over top of it. If given another chance I would not do miracle mud again. Dont see where it accomplished anything.

The only problem with CC is if any food gets down there and gets under the CC it will be a nitrate factory. I would use sand and put a few nassirus snails down there.

uscamaro said:
I've ready many times that Miracle Mud isn't anything special. A few of the veterans on here have used it and didn't see any differences, one even found pieces of red brick in the mud (leading him to believe it was from someone's backyard). The conclusion in previous threads was to not waste money on it. A DSB will work just fine.

What makes someone a veteran here? Thousands of posts, years of experience?? I've learned much over the years from reefers observations, both new and veterans. In fact, I've learned some of the veterans just repeat what others have said, not what they experienced for themselves. Enough about that, but maybe I should have explained why I like Miracle mud so much.
First I follow Leng Sy's (Ecosystem) method of reef keeping. Obviously many who complain about miracle mud haven't been to his store in Laguna Hills ca and seen his tanks like I have. In my opinion, I can't imagine healthier closed system tanks anywhere. Everything is based upon huge refugiums with micro and macro algae, lots of miracle mud, no skimming and no additives other than calcium (depending on tank inhabitants). No phosphate reactors or other special equipment. Simple and successful.
Since I've been following his method, and purchased one of his bio filters 36/16 with 40 lbs of Miracle mud, my tank has never been more stable and healthy. I can keep fish in my 90 gallon tank which people said need at least three times as big of a tank. Constant supply of copepods ect. All my corals have been growing like crazy. I do far less frequent water changes, no skimming, and add nothing but calcium and kh buffer. In all my 15 years in the reef business, I've never had such simple success like using Leng Sy's method and miracle mud. That's why I recommended it. I've tried the deep sand bed, no sand bed, and everything else, until I personally had better success with miracle mud. This is my experience, and I'm not repeating what others have posted. I'm not trying to discredit other people's opinions, just please post your own experiences, or advice on personal experience with a product.
If money isn't a major issue, I still say add some to your small fuge. You won't regret it.

dabeyta3 said:
What makes someone a veteran here? Thousands of posts, years of experience?? I've learned much over the years from reefers observations, both new and veterans. In fact, I've learned some of the veterans just repeat what others have said, not what they experienced for themselves. Enough about that, but maybe I should have explained why I like Miracle mud so much.
First I follow Leng Sy's (Ecosystem) method of reef keeping. Obviously many who complain about miracle mud haven't been to his store in Laguna Hills ca and seen his tanks like I have. In my opinion, I can't imagine healthier closed system tanks anywhere. Everything is based upon huge refugiums with micro and macro algae, lots of miracle mud, no skimming and no additives other than calcium (depending on tank inhabitants). No phosphate reactors or other special equipment. Simple and successful.
Since I've been following his method, and purchased one of his bio filters 36/16 with 40 lbs of Miracle mud, my tank has never been more stable and healthy. I can keep fish in my 90 gallon tank which people said need at least three times as big of a tank. Constant supply of copepods ect. All my corals have been growing like crazy. I do far less frequent water changes, no skimming, and add nothing but calcium and kh buffer. In all my 15 years in the reef business, I've never had such simple success like using Leng Sy's method and miracle mud. That's why I recommended it. I've tried the deep sand bed, no sand bed, and everything else, until I personally had better success with miracle mud. This is my experience, and I'm not repeating what others have posted. I'm not trying to discredit other people's opinions, just please post your own experiences, or advice on personal experience with a product.
If money isn't a major issue, I still say add some to your small fuge. You won't regret it.

I agree about the problem of people posting on here like they are experts when they have only been doing SW a short while.I only post from personal experience.However,show us some pictures,you have got my interest up.

dabeyta3 said:

Boom goes the dynamite?

:facepalm: Calm down bro

We must have different people who we see as veterans. Here's my definition: someone who's had years of experience in the field and has provided credible input and answers to other members; melosu58 (who previously posted) is one of these people. If you were on this forum longer than a month, you'd know who they are.

In all seriousness, your actual experience with Miracle Mud sounds really positive; the explanation really helps too.

Well that was a pleasant read I can almost taste the aggression. Its wonderfully informative. Its a very small fuge 6 or so gallons in my sump so how much miracle mud would I need and for such a small piece of real estate is it worth it?

Back
Top Bottom