Fuge vs. sump vs. both?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mojo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here's a true newbie showing his colors. I think I've decided on starting a 120-150 gal reef tank, and my house will not accomodate a separate room/basement for placement of additional equipment, quarantine tank, fuge/sump, etc, so I'll have to store everything under the viewing tank within the stand. Do I need a refugium and a sump? Are they the same thing? Does my space problem preclude having a tank of that size?

No, you don't need both, you can easily do a combo of sump/refugium, by partitioning off the sump with dams and weirs. Do a search of sumps and refugiums on this site, and you'll find lots of pictures and diagrams to help you out ;)

Thanks, and while I'm on the issue of space, is it possible/practical to think I can keep a QT, sump/fuge, filters, pumps, and all other accessories required for a 120-150 gal tank beneath the viewing tank (within the stand)? Additionally, the location I plan to set up my system has a single 2-plug outlet nearby. Is that enough? I could drill a hole in the wall behind the tank and utilize another 2-plug outlet from the adjoining room ... will that be necessary? TIA

Conceptually its good to have the sump and fuge as large as possible. Adding a QT tank under the stand will make everything very crowded or cause you to sacrafice on the size of the sump or fuge.

Since the QT only needs to be up when its acutally in use you could place it just about anywhere.

Find out what else is on that outlet. A large tank is going to be pulling alot of amps after you put up reef lighting, pumps, heaters, etc.

stacking 10 gal tanks

A guy a LFS in tulsa is going to build me a sum and refug with 2 ten gallons for my
55 by puting in baffs Ill up my emp 400 on the first then after a air trap pump water to secound 10 which i will elevate the gravity feed back to area and pump to tank I m purchasing Cpr and have to get one tank drilled wish me luck I got the 10s for free , oh he say i will run refug light all the time is this best way to grow calupra , what about manroves which is best

Back
Top Bottom