Fungus on a Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
My betta (around six months old) has recently developed a white cottony growth on his fins. He is the sole resident of a 10 gallon tank with lots of live plants, a aquaclear filter (with a sock over the input to reduce flow) and a heater. I did a 50% PWC yesterday when I noticed the problem, and also dosed some pimafix, but it seems to be getting worse and has spread to another fin. I have Maroxy, Malachite Green, and aquarium salt from previous problems in another tank, and can remove the plants if necessary. Any advice on which of these medications to use, and in what quantities?

I would try the Maroxy. Aquarium salt and malachite green will probably not help the fungus. Malachite green is indicated for protozoan/parasite/flukes more than fungus. Malachite green will stain your silicone (and anything else it touches), and kill your good bacteria. You should remove the plants while you use any medications.

Ok, I have been treating the betta with Maroxy for 4 days, and the fungus seems to have disappeared. However, the fish is still very lethargic, sitting on the bottom of the tank. (although he will eat) Do I keep treating the tank with something a little less harsh such as pimafix, or do a series of large partial water changes? Or something else...

I would not use Melafix or Pimafix on a betta. Although they are good meds for other fish, they can irritate the betta's labyrinth organ. I think a series of partial water changes, about 50%, will be the next step to take. I would try four water changes, done every other day. Hopefully that will perk your betta up. That should remove all traces of the medicine, and you can add the plants back in. Make sure the new water is the same temperature as the old water and be sure to dechlorinate. Monitor the ammonia for a few days to make sure the good bacteria didn't die off. If some of the bacteria died, it should rebound quickly, but you may need to do some more water chnages in the meantime to keep the ammonia levels low. With live plants in the tank, they will use up small amounts of ammonia too, and you may not see a reading on your test kit.

I'm so sorry...I know you tried your best. Sometimes it's hard to save fish no matter how hard we try. My bettas are in 10 gallon tanks too - I know your betta appreciated the nice big tank and the live plants. You gave him a good home!

So sorry for your loss. Antiasg is right sometimes no matter how hard we try we still lose a fish. You did your best for him.

Back
Top Bottom