Fungus on my drift wood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ExperimentLain

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys
I am starting a little tank for my betta or shrim- I havent fully decided at this point- may do both. Anyway! I boiled it for over an hour and soaked it in drained water from my 29g tank and let it soak with an air stone- once it sank (about a 7-10 days) I put it in my smaller tank and within the week it was growing white fungus on it. I have kept the air stone with it- as I read it will grow fungus if you dont... seems it still did. It is fluffy white looking blobs (if a blob can look fluffy). I took it out for now until I know what's going on.

The wood is a root from a rubber tree- I thought it was really pretty and I wanted to try it in my tank but I am not sure if this is normal I have never used any wood as decoration. I have root from wood in the local lake but I am leery to try it now too :nono: I am just glad I tried it in an empty tank rather than an established on.

Ideas?

I had the same problem and eventually got tired of it. It's bacteria growing on the log. It's harmless to your tank but looks horribly unattractive if not kept under control. I took mine out once a week and scrubbed it in tank water. It should go away in a few months.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g tetras/dojo loach/clown pleco
~75g going to be African cichlids

I could do that to take it out with every water change. I would like to keep driftwood in to grow plants on it if I can?

Would shrimps/snails help keep it under control?

I could do that to take it out with every water change. I would like to keep driftwood in to grow plants on it if I can?

Would shrimps/snails help keep it under control?

I had mystery snails in the tank my wood was in and they would crawl all over it, but didn't seem like they even made a dent. It multiplies fast.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

I can't speak for shrimp though.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

yeah that's kinda gross- I have a few snails in my tank but not enough to do anything I dont think.

So old toothbrush and scrub it away until it's gone it is! I may get a second one only smaller for my little tank cause it is really cool looking. I will send pictures one day! I am really trying to get the plants and all to look nice!

:fish1:

yeah that's kinda gross- I have a few snails in my tank but not enough to do anything I dont think.

So old toothbrush and scrub it away until it's gone it is! I may get a second one only smaller for my little tank cause it is really cool looking. I will send pictures one day! I am really trying to get the plants and all to look nice!

:fish1:

You may get another Piece and nothing happen. I had 3 pieces and only 1 did that. But like I said it's harmless just looks gross and a pain to clean. Good luck!

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422898417.880178.jpg

This is the tank it was in and I've since rescaped it. 75g soon to home peacocks/Haps cichlids.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

View attachment 263085

This is the tank it was in and I've since rescaped it. 75g soon to home peacocks/Haps cichlids.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Oh that's so pretty! I like 'simple' and uncrowded, not sure if it still lookes like that. I miss my peacock it was so awesome! Someday I will have them again :3

Oh that's so pretty! I like 'simple' and uncrowded, not sure if it still lookes like that. I miss my peacock it was so awesome! Someday I will have them again :3

Yeah unless it's a heavily planted tank I don't like the crowded look much. Saltwater being an exception.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Is that what is happening to my tank?

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1422918488866.jpg
    1422918488866.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 73
Is that what is happening to my tank?

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What's wrong? Please specify.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Not to hijack but I'm dealing with this on my piece in my small tank. Difference is it turns into little white balls like cotton. Never saw this. Also seems to come off and stick to the glass

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not to hijack but I'm dealing with this on my piece in my small tank. Difference is it turns into little white balls like cotton. Never saw this.

I support the suggestion of trying a gravel vacuum. I would gently remove mine and wash it in a bucket then put it back in. Then I'd just net the pieces that fell off.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick problems/loach and 5 tetras left.

Not to hijack but I'm dealing with this on my piece in my small tank. Difference is it turns into little white balls like cotton. Never saw this. Also seems to come off and stick to the glass

Yep That is what mine is/was doing too *nods* I am going the scrubbing as suggested- it seems to be helping already (y)

Throw in a few small pest snails. They will eat that stuff all day long. Sure, they are pests and they reproduce, but you can take them out once they're done or it isn'y=t working. Sure did work for me though.

Nils

Throw in a few small pest snails. They will eat that stuff all day long. Sure, they are pests and they reproduce, but you can take them out once they're done or it isn'y=t working. Sure did work for me though.

Nils

I have to say I am partial to the rams horn/pest snails. Though I am partial to rats too XD maybe its just me and 'unwanted' critters?

I will try it too what could it hurt? just be less cleaning :ROFLMAO:

yeah right now on fridays when I clean it I take the piece out since its so small and clean it. I dont mind the white haze but I never saw it turn into little cotton balls. It looked like white mold.
I always scrub my glass as well.

I have snails in there. Its my 5 gallon pea puffer tank and I keep some MTS, pond and have a decent size red ramhorn in there. Ill say they ignore the red snail completely. They are still small puffers tho. I think for the most part they go around and peck for newborn pond snails. I see them darting and pecking at things I Cant see all the time. No snails seem interesed in this wood tho.

Back
Top Bottom