Funny story to share

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beglely

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well having finally cycled my tank, I decided it was time to go get some fish. On sunday i purchased a rcs and a tiger shrimp. They were nice additions to the tank. Today I purchased 3 paleatus cory cats, and 3 small platies. I also purchased a fish that had caught my fancy for some time now--a small golden wonder killifish. I like the way it looked and i needed a top of the water fish. I had researched this little menace (I say menace because of what has occured this evening) and had planned on moving him very soon to my 55 gallon tank that I will be actually be aquiring tomorrow probably (sooner than anticipated). Well all has been well this evening...until i noticed my tiger shrimp scurrying around the tank. I was excited because this guy usually isnt that active and sits around in the leaves. Well his scurrying attracted some attention of one of my platies who started following it. It just watched it for awhile and left so I figured we avoided any conflict...until about 3 seconds later when my killiefish came out of nowhere and hit this shrimp like a largemouth bass on a crankbait....it was like watching national geographic and seeing the lion take down the baby gazelle( I had the theme music playing in my head)...I watched in horror as the killifish sucked down my tiger shrimp who I had grown quite attached to (and I will probably have post-traumatic stress disorder now). When reaserching this fish I knew it could be aggressive and so I avoided small minnow fish like neons which i knew he would probably eat...unfortunately i forogt that shrimp could be on the menu too then...and of course the killiefish avoids the pack of ghost shrimp running around the tank that are $.33 a pop and I intended to breed as feeder shrimp. Lesson learned and I will now being hurrying up the prep process on my 55 gallon now.
I should probably also add that this story is only funny to the people I have shared it with...there is a severe lack of humor on my part over here.

Aw...so sorry for your loss. I think we all probably know what it feels like to lose a fish/shrimp that you really like. I lost a rubberlip pleco a couple of months back that I just loved and it brought tears...so, understood!

haha yeah it was a shortlived acquisition to the tank but i will get some more soon so the disappointment was shortlived At least my killifish is very happy now!

I bet the killi enjoyed his snack... lol. I wouldn't recommend breeding ghosts for feeders, that can be quite tough. I heard they need brackish to breed/grow. I could be wrong, its been a while since I kept those guys.

yeah i read into it and they do need slightly brackish water and it can be difficult, but i have 1 or two with eggs so im going to experiment anyway. There are others that are easier to breed which i will probably do as well

I'm sorry about your tiger shrimp.

I smiled when I read about the National Geographic theme song, but I agree that at that moment there was no humor involved. We all have lost favorite fish, shrimp or other inhabitants and it is sad for awhile.

Yeah it was a disappointment at the moment but you live and learn. I found a guy in lafayette that has two 10gal for 10$ so i might get one or both and make a dedicated shrimp tank for cherries, tigers, or oranges.

Back
Top Bottom