fuval 404/405 media amount

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phish7740

Aquarium Advice Activist
so i seached for this and didnt find much....i gues not alot of people us fuvals

im running a 405 and a aqua remora c Pro on a 100gal with 70# LR and 2 1200 maxijets

my question is how much carbon and ceramic cylinders (bio media) do i need? is there a measurement/recomendation?

right now i am using the amount that came with it for the ceramic media and i have (6) 4"x5" (which you can fit 3-4 per tray) carbon bags and a bag of PhosX.

thanks

Is this a fresh or saltwater tank? Many people use live rock rubble instead of the bio media. Carbon is debatable, many people think it should be refreshed weekly, while others think it should only be run when necessary. (Carbon is needed after a course of medication, or when there is a risk of contamination.)

your manual suggests 4.42 quarts of biological filtraton.

right now i am using the amount that came with it for the ceramic media and i have (6) 4"x5" (which you can fit 3-4 per tray) carbon bags and a bag of PhosX.

I have the 304 and just used the ceramic that came with it. You should be good. If you run into problems with algae, we can discuss that later. It happened to me after about 5 months. I thought about LR, but things seem ok for now. I want to give my tank a little more time to adjust to the changes I made.

Carbon is debatable, many people think it should be refreshed weekly, while others think it should only be run when necessary.

I would tend to agree with when it is needed...Weekly, IMO, in larger tanks might be a bit too much. From my readings, it really just keeps the water clear and will filter out meds, as you said.

Back
Top Bottom