Fuzz on African Dwarf Frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenstlouis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does anybody know what's going on with my poor little guy? I can't find the other ADF in the tank at the moment but the neons all look fine. It's just him ��

It looks like a spore or something but it's only right on his eye. He's walking around and going up for air as normal. Water levels are good. Neons and Neurite are happy. How can I help him!

Attachments

• 20220711_114515.jpg
    20220711_114515.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220711_114454.jpg
    20220711_114454.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Oh gosh, I don't know. I did introduce a new ADF a couple weeks ago. I can't tell unless they are beside each other who is the new one and who is the one I've had for about a year, unfortunately. I think this is the new one though. But there are no social issues in the tank and afaik ADfs are rather community with each other, they hung out with each other right away. My only guess is maybe he could have bonked his eye on something after going up for air :'(

Is there anything I can do to help him either way? I can't see past the fuzz to see if his eye is still there

First off it is fungus which is not good.

If it were me I might prepare a mix of 3/4 water and 1/4 H2O2, Drugstore/ pharmacy 3% Hydrogen peroxide and use a q tip to accurately, carefully dap a moist not dripping q-tip swab on the spot, in an away from the eye motion. You obviously wouldn't want to get it in his eye. While holding him with a tank water moistened folded paper towel. Or cloth without fabric softener chemicals. They can absorb through their skin.

If that method if too much to try then try Pimafix. If you can buy a small pack of Indian Almond leaves / IAL there are some ones packaged listed for Bettas which are small size. But if someone you know has them, or a independent LFS you might be able to buy a leaf and use a chunk of it. It has antibacterial properties and could help the water.

If the eye is missing I would treat try API Pima fix
API® Pimafix Fish Fungal Infection Treatment
https://apifishcare.com/product/pimafix

There are stronger options.

The most first things would be to do a couple of water changes to get the water as perfect as possible. Any time there is a death or illness that would be #1 to make sure.

Also make sure you do not over feed and leave food chunks on the bottom of the tank to degrade and muck it up.

You can remove bits of food in a smallish tank with a turkey baster. Or by vacuuming the substrate with a vac wand for a bigger tank.

Thank you very much for your helpful response. He unfortunately passed away. I was unable to help him in time and I'm very sad. My best guess is that I think he must have hurt himself on something, and then he caught an infection from some old food sitting on the substrate. Unfortunately since I've introduced the new ADF, he is still learning the routine and I see that there is definitely some old food hanging around from my attempts to feed him in his first couple weeks so I'm pretty bummed.

Thanks again for the quick and helpful response

Very sorry you lost him. Look around for any pointy parts on wood, etc. A double check.

Keep the food picked up. Depending if there is room you might try a larger size shrimp feeding dish like a circle dish 2 or 3 inches around. ADF are messy it might help though so more can be removed more easily in the dish, and have a specific spot for feeding times. But you may still have to remove uneaten food.

I'm definitely taking out all of my decoratives and only putting in the silk-plants and stuff that I know can't hurt anyone!

It's just a 10 gallon tank with a few Neons, a nerite, and the ADF. I actually have a feeding dish for the messy reason, and the ADF I had already knew the routine but the new guy wasn't catching on quick enough and I was worried he wasn't finding the food so I dropped some food with my feeding tube right beside him and I didn't clean it up enough in some spots :'(

It is hard to do everything perfectly. Just keep learning and trying your best to keep one step ahead of it all. Sorry you're having difficulties with your little ADF's. Sometimes there is a sickly one, and it just can't make it.

Back
Top Bottom