FW Parrotfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMaffei

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am trying to find info on FW Parrotfish. My wife saw some at the LFS and I think she has fallen in love. I have been trying to research them online but always run into SW Parrotfish info. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
James

Hey JM, I think I may know why you were having trouble finding them, that is if this is the cichlid you're talking about. The cichlid I think you're talking about is called a Blood Parrot Cichlid. Go to this link and post back if this is what you are looking for.

http://freshaquarium.about.com/library/profiles/blfw6084.htm

From what I hear they're nice fish that cause little to no probs with other fish. I see them in show tanks in LFS's and they always seem peaceful and bright colored.

Just as an aside, parrots are actually a hybrid of three different cichlids, Red Devil, Severums and something else that I can't remember. Last I heard they cannot breed on their own and are "created" by fish breeders. Most of the hardcore cichlid (or just fishkeepers) keepers, consider them an abomination.

Thanks for the info, I will go down to the LFS myself and investigate a little further.

:lol: hey just another wife loves these fish. i have 6 in 2 40 gallon tanks, 3 in each tank. i absolutley love these little guys!they have an awsome personality! i hope that your wife got some.

Just make sure you don't get the dyed ones! :(

If they're called Jellybean or Bubble Gum Parrots, stay away. These poor creatures have been subjected to a cruel process of dying to enhance their color. It doesn't even last.

Theres a lot of controversy bout the blood parrots. Some say they are a mixed breed hybrid (I've heard severums, red devils, green terrors, etc). Others say they are actually mutated severums (sort of like the different types of goldfish mutations). I tend to think the latter, as they have many of the characteristics of the severum. They're bred in Asia (Malaysia maybe?) and it appears a lot of the rumors come from there; maybe to confuse the issue so people don't bred them on their own (as no one is sure what the combo is to get them) and they can have a monopoly. However, they CAN breed (although this is rare). From what I've read, the offspring tend to be a combo of blood parrots and what appears to be severum, which again leads me to believe they are mutated severums.

While I personally aren't fond of them, I know they tend to be VERY personable. I've heard them described as almost like pet dogs. I do know they have to be watched as they get older; the deformities can cause problems (such as being unable to close their mouths). And as for why I don't like them...I just think they're ugly LOL

Hybrid or not, I think they are a great fish. They get along with everyone including much smaller fish. They are also able to take care of themselves aginst more agressive fish like Oscars. I have a pair in a 33 gallon community tank and a very large pair in my 500 gallon tank along with 3 full grown Oscars and a very large silver Arrowana. I agree with the comment about don't purchase the dyed ones. I do not handle any dyed fish in my small LFS. Includes "fruit" tetra and the new dyed kissing gourami.

I hate both of the fish mentioned, the parrot cichlid is a fish that not many people know about and are still unsure what it actually is. A severum, red devil, rivulatus gold fish has been mentioned. when ever you buy a fish you should read up on them first, but if they are not any books on them yet because they are so new how can you learn about them first. The other thing about these fish are when they are first introduced to the hobby they stick stupid prices on these fish and the people that produces this fish makes loads of money before people start realizing what this fish actually is. As for the Flowerhorn Cichlid, a very nice looking fish but with a combination of Red devil and Synspilum you are going to get a fish that is 12" long and very agressive when it is fully grown. I will be honest i carry both these fish in stock in the store but they are my least sold fish, yes you could call me a hippocrit for selling this fish but i am here to earn a living like anybody else. But i do try and sell people better south american cichlids before these. But if somebody comes in wanting something it can be very hard to change there minds. So if you want MHO on these fish i would say DON'T BUY THEM. There are better cichlids out there.

Back
Top Bottom