Galaxia and pom pom xenia care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarkAnviL

Aquarium Advice Regular
Went and purchased a couple of nice specimens, one is a galaxia and the other a small pom pom xenia. I was wondering if there is special requirements or treatment for these corals. They've been in the tank about two days now, the galaxia is looking great but not to sure about the appearence of the xenia. Any help is appriciated thank you.

Went and purchased a couple of nice specimens, one is a galaxia and the other a small pom pom xenia. I was wondering if there is special requirements or treatment for these corals. They've been in the tank about two days now, the galaxia is looking great but not to sure about the appearence of the xenia. Any help is appriciated thank you.

galaxia are beautiful but they are aggressive corals they have LONG feeding tenticles that will stink other corals. make sure you don't put anything within 6-8 inches of it. I have also heard that they like "dirty" water. I am looking forward to getting one but I need a bigger tank first

Yes, I was informed of the long tenticles it has and they are pretty long for sure. Fortunately the water flow is going all in one direction in my tank and it is pretty far from any other corals I have so I think I'm safe. What do you mean by dirty water?

Here is a pic of both specimens, first is the galaxia and next is the pom pom xenia

You should place the Galaxea in an area of turbulent multi-directional flow. Constant flow from one side can damage the coral.

Right now I have all the water flow going in one direction, starting from the top left of the tank aiming to the right. It had crossed my mind that the flow going in one direction might not be good for the galaxia but wasn't sure. How bad is it? It's tenticles are all flowing to the right. I have two power heads and return from the sump blowing in one direction, should I put one power head on left and right side blowing at each other?

The polyps that are the closest to the flow will slowly retract and not come out and the polyps will die. Try aiming your PH's at eachother and see what happens. Don't aim straight at the galaxea. Play around and see what you can do.

All coral have defense mechanisms. Stinging be the most prominent. So yes. If the galaxia tentacles encroach on the mushrooms and touch them, there will be some stinging, possibly dying involved. Give all coral their own space.

Back
Top Bottom