Garf plenum building

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveM

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have been reading up on this idea. Has anyone had any experiences with them.

Can you give a little more information about it? I haven't heard of it and didn't see anything in a quick search.

Dave, search the forum, I believe there are a few threads on this stuff.

I do believe it is just a fancy under gravel filter. But has anyone tried it? What if I built the plenum in my eshopps sump? Would it do the same thing?

From the description I read it sounds like the same use as a deep sand bed. There are people who do similar things to their DSB as was mentioned, but I really don't know how much benefit you will get from it.

It looks mostly like they are trying to sell CUC on that site. I really hope those tanks they used to show off the CUC aren't their own. Those tanks looked really bad (at least that one at the bottom of the page).

I think the cuc tanks are test tanks. They let them get really bad and then put a ton of cuc in and watch the changes

From some quick research about undergravel systems for another thread, the benefit is a biological filter and less mechanical and chemical. The water runs through the sand where bacteria is to break down ammonia and nitrites and then goes to the bottom where a pump pushes the water back out.

I've also read about the gravel being packed down overtime causing flow restrictions. I personally would not use it because gravel leaves areas in between for water to flow, but sand would be more pack together thus limiting flow quite a lot. This is from pure observation of gravel and sand with no research involve though. I could be wrong

Back
Top Bottom