Garlic boost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frankieg2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone used Garlic Boost? I just bought a bottle and it seems to be a good idea for the health of the fish, Any feed back would be appreciated.

:fish1:

I personally think the only benefit is the boost to the immune system. Even though that is a good thing it can be accomplished by pristine water conditions and premium food products. This is an article I usually show for garlic. Even though I dont use garlic and dont think there is much benefit there are others that claim results and I`m not discounting their results.

Garlic: What has been Studied Versus What has been Claimed by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

I use Kent's Garlic Xtreme. Probably the same thing. I have FW tanks, but I use it whenever I am defrosting bloodworms or any frozen food. Put a drop in the water as it defrosts. I bought it when I had a fish that wasn't eating as it is supposed to stimulate the appetite and boost the immune system. But since it is such a small expensive bottle, I decided to use it whenever Im defrosting food or them. Man! Does that stuff smell potent! I had to laugh when it says on the bottle "not for human consumption"! LOL.

I use Seachem's Entice (garlic, vits, etc) in my FW tanks, soak my NLS pellets in it for a couple minutes and my fish go nuts for it. It's good for FW & SW.

IME the garlic additives are no more than appetite enhancers. The best form of garlic is freshly pressed garlic. I have used NLS Thera+A, which has enough garlic to kill some parasites. I have seen it function as a parasiticide in this form.

Although it is debated, there is evidence that allicin, a chemical in garlic, can actively kill parasites (among other things). There have been scientific studies showing that parasites died when exposed to allicin. It is not just an appetite stimulant or immune system booster. Not to mention I have never seen anything explaining how garlic would even function as an immune booster.

Back
Top Bottom