Gathering of guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasina

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10 g. with good number: Ammo.0 ph 6.8 Nitrite 0 Nitrate >.25

In side I have some ramhorn snails and 10 guppies and about 5 larger fry. The guppies have been just fine until this morning. They are all gathered at the top of the tank in a corner. They look fine, all fins are up and flowing, but won't swim around the tank. I thought that the filter out flow may be too strong so I put some plastic netting in it and it diffused it a bit. I did a partial WC two days ago, and used purigen to adjust the water. Haven't done anything different than usual. The fry are not hanging with the adults, but swimming around. It is a planted tank and I use GLF for fertilizer and liquid CO2. I also have a 20 g community tank which I treat the same way and they are all happy and doing great. Any ideas please?

do you have more light coming through the window or anything different? If so, maybe they arent used to the light.

I wouldn't worry about it. They tend to stay in groups. As long as your parameters are fine, temperature is fine, then I am sure they are fine.

They have been in the same tank, in the same place. I just did a WC of 50%, let the bio wheel float so that I could stuff some poly floss to defuse the water flow, and they are still up in the corner. I made sure I had PRIME in there so the tank is good and clean no! Checked all the snails and no one is dead. I am really frustrated. I understand they stay in groups but not huddled together in a corner. Thank you for your thoughts :)

Do you have a picture? I understand what you are trying to say, but some may not.

when fish are at the top, it usually means something is off with either your parameters, or oxygen levels are low. Maybe you use(d) too much of the liquid carbon recently and it's depleting the o2 levels in the tank (not sure if liquid carbon does that, but I know actual co2 does)

I have a bubbler in the tank. I am sorry I can't get a picture at this time. Loaned out the camera to my kid in another state. I am thinking you are right about the CO2. I won't put any in tomorrow and see if that helps. It is something to worry about something so small! But I do. Thanks.

FYI After turning off the filter, lights and bubbler for 3 hours, no change. This morning they are still in corners. Just opposite ones. The fry are swimming around like nothing is wrong. Check number and they are still good. They are eating so I am not going to worry for right now. Even changing the decor, it hasn't effect them. Thanks for your help!

If its not high ammonia its probablt a disease. Namely flexibacter columnaris is common and will make tgem hang. Check for ragged fins and white growth on fins and or body
Report back

68381-albums12364-picture56105.jpg
68381-albums12364-picture56106.jpg
Not great at photos, but I hope the next two pics can help.

Matt, I looked up images on the flexibacter, but I don't see the same symptoms. What do you think of Pics? They are a bit elongated due to my photo skills, which are bad....

Last edited:
Im sorry i can't see any pictures. All i see is __________ <-----this
Columnaris is one of several rod shaped gram negative Aerobic (consumes air) bacteria that are always present in unclorinated water. It does not usually affect fish unless they become stressed, but it still can. It is a major killer of farm raised Catfish, Salmon,Carp (goldfish and koi) and all kinds of ornamental fish. It can also be presented as secondary effects of a number of other disease, such as Pusedomonas (can't spell it) and arenomas infections. It first appears as a fungus like growth on fishes fins, then spreads to cover some of the body usally the upper Back area, infects the fishes mouth, gills, and other organs until they shut down and the fish dies. Ill check back with your guppies when you get a picture up.

Im sorry i can't see any pictures. All i see is __________ <-----this
Columnaris is one of several rod shaped gram negative Aerobic (consumes air) bacteria that are always present in unclorinated water. It does not usually affect fish unless they become stressed, but it still can. It is a major killer of farm raised Catfish, Salmon,Carp (goldfish and koi) and all kinds of ornamental fish. It can also be presented as secondary effects of a number of other disease, such as Pusedomonas (can't spell it) and arenomas infections. It first appears as a fungus like growth on fishes fins, then spreads to cover some of the body usally the upper Back area, infects the fishes mouth, gills, and other organs until they shut down and the fish dies. Ill check back with your guppies when you get a picture up.

Are you on this site using a smart phone or Ipad? Sometimes the pictures won't show. If possible, could you go to my page and look in the albums? Your opinion would be much valued. Thank you!

I sent you a friend request. Im not sure how to look at your Album pictures on your profile unless maybe it dosen't let me unless im your friend. Anywhoo send me a PM with the picture of sick guppy or explain to me how to see your album and

Okay, If they are all sick in one tank its got to be either chemical contimination or lack of dissolved oxyegen or god forbid a columnaris outbreak. If i were you, i would forget the Co2, plants don't need it. My plants are fine and i never use it. It sounds like too much conditioner or co2 or fertilizer. I would do a big water change and add carbon if you have it and see if they pull out of it. Look at them closely and tell us if you see any whitish growths on the fins or body anywhere that shouldn't be there....

Okay, If they are all sick in one tank its got to be either chemical contimination or lack of dissolved oxyegen or god forbid a columnaris outbreak. If i were you, i would forget the Co2, plants don't need it. My plants are fine and i never use it. It sounds like too much conditioner or co2 or fertilizer. I would do a big water change and add carbon if you have it and see if they pull out of it. Look at them closely and tell us if you see any whitish growths on the fins or body anywhere that shouldn't be there....

I have really looked them over and there are no markings, spots, redness, just regular guppies. After this all started, I did a 50-60% water change. Turned off all the filters, bubblers, lights and so forth, so that if it was stress, it would help. After an hour I turned it all back on and no changes. I added PRIME, thinking that if it could pull out any chemicals it might work. Haven't used any more fertizlier or CO2 since. I can not, for the life of me, see anything that would cause this. I have tested and tested the water, no changes. Will add a bag of carbon to it tonight and see if that pulls out anything. Thank you Matt

Ya it sounds like their not liking that co2 or fertilizer. I have had fish hang because they didn't like algae clear meds even tho i used the appropiate amount. Guppies are picky and theyll let you know if they don't like something in the water. cool beans

Thank you all for your input and support. I woke up this morning to find them all dead. The snails seem fine and all the plants, of course, are all doing well. I guess I have to tear the tank down and start anew. I still want to breed guppies. Again thank you.

Sorry to hear that. But im glad to hear your not gonna tear it down like most people do when they lose a tankful.

Back
Top Bottom