GBR Mating Myth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hulka9

Aquarium Advice Freak
I wanted to disprove what I have read that once a GBR male/female has bred as a couple that it won't breed with another is false. I was really concerned when my female died of bloat because I had read that the male will never breed with another female and in extremes even die from depression from losing their mate. I bought another female and they are mating already after a week from buying her. Just wanted to post this for anyone else who had this concern.

You are correct in that it is totally false. I once believed that as well as that was what I read but after getting a number of pairs of Rams I watched one male breed with a female and as the eggs were in the tank and she was guarding them, he went over to another female and spawned with her. He had been going back and forth between the two females for weeks and then that happened. I've also rehoused a number of rams of either sex to watch them just re-pair up with another. Sometimes there is compatability issues with some fish but they will definitely stray given the chance.

Back
Top Bottom