GBR sitting on the ground all the time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the saga has finally ended. I euthanized the sick GBR today. Nothing I tried had any effect and I just noticed a sore developing behind one of his fins so I decided to let him go. I used clove oil. I need to get a new one to pair with the 1 healthy one in my tank but don't know if I should wait or what....I will probably post a new thread asking about that. Just an FYI for anyone still following this

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm sorry for your loss. GBR's are beautiful and they are still my next challenge. But in the meantime I'm happy with the stock I have. Here is the first GBR I owned.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1425946191449.jpg
    1425946191449.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 49
Beautiful fish! I think I'm gonna get a female this time instead of having two males

Beautiful fish! I think I'm gonna get a female this time instead of having two males

The fish you lost was most definitely a female. There is a faded but still pink patch on the belly, she would have looked like Stacey's female when healthy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The fish you lost was most definitely a female. There is a faded but still pink patch on the belly, she would have looked like Stacey's female when healthy.

Well it's funny because when I bought the two, the woman assured me that they were both males but when I got them home I wasn't sure. I posted some pics and people on here thought the healthy one was a female. The one that got sick didn't have the red belly until after he/she got sick so idk what that means.

The sick one was always bigger and more manly looking lol...but I'm really not an expert on sexing GBRs

Do you have a pic of the other?

If they were both females then I would bet that there was some aggressive bullying going on that you didn't see, possibly after lights out. The fish in the pic has the colors of one that was beaten into submission.

Really? They did fight when they saw each other but only once the one got sick....or I just didn't see it before :/

I don't have any pics on my phone because I just got this phone and he's being really camera shy right now...I'll try to get one at some point tonight

Really? They did fight when they saw each other but only once the one got sick....or I just didn't see it before :/

I don't have any pics on my phone because I just got this phone and he's being really camera shy right now...I'll try to get one at some point tonight

My females would kill each other if the male didn't chase them back to their territories when they start to flare at each other. Females are really violent toward each other.

Well crap. I'll try to get a good picture so I can figure out the sex

Ok so the bad part is that I bought a new GBR this morning before you and I started talking :/ the woman at the lfs said it was a female. What do you think? I still can't get a pic of my old GBR but this is the new one

Attachments

• 1426284748973.jpg
    1426284748973.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 40
Ok and these are the best shots I could get. These are the two together

Attachments

• 1426285346053.jpg
    1426285346053.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 1426285362919.jpg
    1426285362919.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 40
The 2nd pic

Attachments

• 1426285402459.jpg
    1426285402459.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 50
So do you think I should return the new one and get a male? Like is there no way they could live peacefully together?

So do you think I should return the new one and get a male? Like is there no way they could live peacefully together?

It's a possibility, but I would need to see a full tank shot and know the tank's footprint to really give advice on how to make it possible because so far it doesn't work long-term.

2 females yes.. no male present?? not sure what will happen? If you ever introduce a male it could be a battle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's a possibility, but I would need to see a full tank shot and know the tank's footprint to really give advice on how to make it possible because so far it doesn't work long-term.

Ok would you mind giving some advice? I've attached pics of the front and sides of the tank. 25 gallons and medium planted with driftwood and 3 caves for hiding. The lights are off in the pictures but you get the idea

Attachments

• 1426293847379.jpg
    1426293847379.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 1426293868260.jpg
    1426293868260.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 1426293891848.jpg
    1426293891848.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 51
2 females yes.. no male present?? not sure what will happen? If you ever introduce a male it could be a battle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well atm I'm at 90% stock according to aquadvisor so I don't want to add any more fish....also no fighting at all so far! Just slowly checking each other out. The new girl is pretty submissive

The setup would be suitable for a pair but there's really not enough space or sight breaks to keep 2 of the same sex, especially females.
Things will get real ugly between the girls when one of them ends up laying eggs (which will be done even without a male) and the other will be relentlessly harassed.

Ok I waited a little just to see how the girls interacted but you were all right, no good. I returned her :( and got a male yesterday and it is immediately a better dynamic. Pretty sure my old girl has a crush on the new guy. Thanks for all the help guys

Back
Top Bottom