GBR's Gender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Look at the fins. Males are longer nd pointed females rounded nd short. So yea also females have pink on her tummy, and one mor way is females have shinning spots in the black spots and males r solid black

Yep but juvinile girls dont have the pink yet ither so best of luck

The best way to tell is the black spot on the side, if it is solid black it's a male. If it is black with some neon blue spots it's a female.

I have been looking for more then one sign to tell male and females apart. The obvious one would be the blue spots in the black band, but sometimes you cant tell when they are in stores. You can tell them apart by the first 3 spikes on the dorsal fin (sometimes). If the 3 spikes are like a staircase (going from short to tall starting at the head) it is a female. The males will have a taller 2nd spike.

I have herd something with the tail of them too. Someone told me that the male will have a rounder corners at the top and bottom of the tail. The female will have sharper corners, but I dont know if that's true or not.

My male has pink on his stomach.. He's in breeding condition.. But a female should be a lot pinker when in breeding condition.

Iv had these fish nd my male NEVER had pink in his stomach even in breeding condition, only the FEMALES have pink on there stomachs

Cleggat said:
My male has pink on his stomach.. He's in breeding condition.. But a female should be a lot pinker when in breeding condition.

You got yourself a female there haha. The males don't have any pink on the underside.

Yep! Or you could look at the dorsal fin its linger and more pionted then the females: heres a pics to visually help you.

Clicked send by accident lol, heres the pics:

Attachments

• image-4167742421.jpg
    image-4167742421.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 83
here are my rams. both males. you can see the solid black spot on their side. also ask at the store. my lfs keeps the males and females in separate tanks. they could make a mistake but at least it's somewhere to start.

He's a proven male :) MALES CAN HAVE PINK, ALTHOUGH LIGHT PINK!

I've definitely seen pink on the males and females with super long pointy dorsal fins. The only for sure way to tell is looking at the black spot on the side. If there's any blue flecks at all, it's a female.

Anybody have any pics of females? I'm trying to figure mine out. I asked the LFS for male but now I'm not to sure. I think I might see some blue in the spot.

Attachments

• image-676397281.jpg
    image-676397281.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 66
  • image-855436151.jpg
    image-855436151.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 77
In the pics: they are both males! Very nice and healthy ones at that!

Cichildlife said:
In the pics: they are both males! Very nice and healthy ones at that!

Thank you very much. It's actually two pics of the same fish. The first a little blurry but a close-up. Thanks again for identifying for me. Am thinking about getting him a female now, just have to find one. My LFS has sold out almost days after he gets them for the past couple of months. These guys were at the store for almost three weeks so I knew he was mostly healthy when I got him (last week).

Back
Top Bottom