German ram tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I turned the lights off and he's turning up and down. My other 2 are in the top corner... What wrong!!

I drip acclimated, and he keeps getting stuck in plants. I wiggle the plant and he swims away and gets stuck.

I turned off the filter because he was getting blown around. Now my other 2 fish are huddling in the corner by the filter....

Aw crap. Maybe they are weak stock. Not sure why you have ammonia tho. You did a fishless cycle right? The bio filter should be ready for plenty of stock.

Yes I am really confused and sad... Doe lfs normally take refunds in dead fish? And are my other 2 gonna make it?

Charlie, it's so frustrating, especially given how long you waited and how patient you were. Unfortunately, I've had this experience as well. Some fish, even "hardy" ones, don't handle the multiple transitions between breeder, shipper, holding tanks, fish store and finally your home tank. Even when you do everything right, some fish just don't survive all the stress :( Don't let it discourage you too much though, hang in there, hopefully the other two will survive.
I would restart the filter, especially so you don't lose your bb, keep the lights low over night, and hopefully tomorrow, things will start to improve.
Sorry for your loss.

What exactly do you mean by restarting the filter? And I net the guy out right? It just makes me so sad as he was my favorite one and seemed to be doing great

Most fish stores give credit for fish deaths. You have to take the dead one and a water sample in. If they see ammonia in water sample they might not give credit. Good luck.

You said you had turned off the filter, because he was getting blown around by it. You really want it running to keep your pads wet, to keep your bacteria active.
I would put your guy in a plastic baggy in the fridge, and put a water sample in another baggie. Return them to the lfs tomorrow, and let them know what happened, they should give you credit towards a new one.

I plugge it back in. I hopefully will be able to go nack tommorrow. As for water; should I do a water change to help the other 2

Drip acclimation can be very hard on fish. I don't even bother with it anymore unless it is a sensitive saltwater creature and even then it is done with great care. When the bag is closed up at the store pH starts to drop and ammonia levels, of course, rise. The higher ammonia is ok for a time as the lowering pH works to keep it in a 'not so toxic' form. When you open the bag at home pH suddenly begins to increase. Because of the increase in pH the ammonia is quickly transformed into a very toxic substance. A slow drip does nothing to combat this effect and the fish end up damaged from ammonia poisoning.

In short, don't bother with drip acclimation. Just float the closed bag for fifteen minutes to match temp and then open and add a half cup of tank water to the bag every ten minutes for an hour. When the water in the bag has doubled, or you hit the 30 minute mark, dump half out and continue.

I wouldn't do anything more with the tank right now, your parameters look good, and the water change could increase the stress on them. Just rest and relax, and hope they do better through the night.

blert said:
Drip acclimation can be very hard on fish. I don't even bother with it anymore unless it is a sensitive saltwater creature and even then it is done with great care. When the bag is closed up at the store pH starts to drop and ammonia levels, of course, rise. The higher ammonia is ok for a time as the lowering pH works to keep it in a 'not so toxic' form. When you open the bag at home pH suddenly begins to increase. Because of the increase in pH the ammonia is quickly transformed into a very toxic substance. A slow drip does nothing to combat this effect and the fish end up damaged from ammonia poisoning.

In short, don't bother with drip acclimation. Just float the closed bag for fifteen minutes to match temp and then open and add a half cup of tank water to the bag every ten minutes for an hour. When the water in the bag has doubled, or you hit the 30 minute mark, dump half out and continue.

Wow. I learned something new! Thanks Blert! Now I don't feel so bad for not drip acclimating. Good luck Charlie. I know it's tough to lose fish.

Well I asked what way and was told it is the best way, now I feel like I killed him. Should I fee them still?

Try not to feel like you killed him, Charlie, you acted on the best information you had available at the time, this hobby can be so frustrating because there's always something more you could do, or a new way of doing things. I've used drip acclimation before without killing my fish, I also used to just float the bag for fifteen minutes and dump it in water and all! We learn from others and our own experience and use those to build on for the future.
Your guppy was probably very weak from stress, and that is the major contributing factor to his eventual demise. Don't be so hard on yourself :huh:

Back
Top Bottom