Get a 125 gallon? EDIT: GOT a 125g :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rossmort

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so I had this great plan to get a 55g and I was all happy with that and all, been reading too many hours a day about what all I am going to use equipment wise and all that good stuff when all of a sudden a chance at a 125 falls in my lap for what seems to be a very good price (125g tank, solid oak stand, XP3 canister+HOB, heaters, "current makers", Lights/hood, rock (wouldnt use), ornaments (who knows what they are) etc. for 500 but could probably get it for a little less). Now I am stuck because this is going to be going into an apartment (Have ground floor so no weight issues) that I am moving into august (Yes, long ways away--When I get an idea I have to read a lot about it :)) and I am scared it might be too much.

Fish wise, I wouldn't house large fish or many for that matter since it will be moved., my plan has been for shell dwelling cichlids and that is still what I am thinking so say 6 of them and then probably a leopard pleco that I have in another tank and then who knows, schooling fish for up top. Long story Longer, I would be moving at the earliest 1 year from when I get it set up. Do you think it is a good idea or actually, a feasable idea? I would have a 20g and 5g set up 1.5 hours away so I would have a LITTLE storage space for fish during move and such. Any opinions are great.

Thanks for reading my jumble of thoughts :)

Aquarist Tank and other-things Creedo: Bigger is better, huge is better then bigger.

:)

Take the 125 (and if you come across a 240 in the meantime - take that instead) Besides it's only fair to whatever criters you're going to keep.

Ok, i think you talked me into it:)

I will have to figure out how to move a beast like this as I don't believe a VW Jetta has what it takes!

Hmmmm Let's see, Have I ever strapped a 125 ontop of a jetta, Nope, can't say I have, seems like an idea though

:) :) :)

Better look into renting a truck/van - if you have Home Depots near by they typically rent a flatbed for $19, free milage for 75 minutes. You could try that.

The former suggestion may not work to well, but it would be pretty entertaining to the folks in your area.

TheMadNucleus said:
Hmmmm Let's see, Have I ever strapped a 125 ontop of a jetta, Nope, can't say I have, seems like an idea though

:) :) :)

Better look into renting a truck/van - if you have Home Depots near by they typically rent a flatbed for $19, free milage for 75 minutes. You could try that.

The former suggestion may not work to well, but it would be pretty entertaining to the folks in your area.

HAHA, I can only imagine what the guy would say when I rolled up with a couple bungies and said, "Yeah, just throw that tank up top and lets see if we can't wedge the stand in the trunk" :lol:

LOL, well I mean, I have my tractor that I can bring and maybe I could hook up my horses to our wagon and get it but no, I don't have any friends who have trucks. I am going to measure a friends Bravada and see if it would work though.

(above was a joke, no tractor, no horses, don't even have a barn :D )

BTW BrianNY--Seeing the 125 in your gallery makes me want it even more!

Remember the TV commercials for "Enterpise Car Rental" maybe you'll have to check if there is one in your area!!!

I don't think I would trust hauling it in a Bravada either--I'd guess that size of a tank would be about 6 ft in length. Be sure and have some strong helpers when you move it & how the doorways and wall are located--it'd be very much like moving a sofa. Just more fragile!!!

Wow, I love you guys. I was very hesitant about getting that big of a tank but after everyone's comments I feel like I am walking on water. Just hope I can figure out transport and all that fun stuff. I also have to do the little thing of BUYING it actually and not just talking about it! Hopefully I can hook up with the guy tomorrow and check out everything before I get too excited.

A big thing that helped me decide is that later on in my life I would really like to try SW and a 125 is the minimum that I would want to do and if I do this--I got that part covered at least!

Well, I got it! $475 for a 125g w/ solid oak stand, XP3 canister, Some HOB filter similar to Penguin 400 w/o Biowheels, heater, Power head that he had in the corner for a little current (use for UGJ maybe?), some various rocks and stuff like that, lights w/ glass hood and I think that is it. Now the fun part, gotta move the beast tomorrow. Guess we will see how that all works out.

Rossmart,

Don't you think you should really consider a 240 gallon???

only kidding :)

This whole hobby is like eating peanuts, once you've decided on something, you just have to have the next bigger one.

I have a 125 and every once in a while I find my self on the sites checking the 240 Gallon acrylics. Yikes! something like 8ft long, 2 feet high 2 feet wide (good thing I'm divorced - I would've never got this by my X). :)

Anyway - I love my 125 - this is the third I've owned - the first 2 were FW this one is salt. One of the great things about 125's is that nothing happens too quickly and therefore you have a better chance at reacting.

Tom

Menagerie said:
$475 for a 125g w/ solid oak stand, XP3 canister, Some HOB filter similar to Penguin 400 w/o Biowheels, heater
*mouth hanging open*
I want one!!!

Thank you for saying that. I was pretty sure I was getting a good deal--Do you know what a 125 and stand would usually run?

I'd get the tank but not do anything with it until I moved. Moving tanks is a huge PITA. Go to a car dealership and act really interested in a let's say a minivan or Durango. Then ask if you can take it home for the weekend to see if it's somthing you'd like to do. Then over the weekend move your tank. Then take the car back with an empty tank. :twisted: A car dealership let us take a Caprice wagon home over a weekend back in the day. I loved that car...damn my parents...they went with a Caravan. :(

Do you know what a 125 and stand would usually run?
Don't even worry about it!!! Put it this way--I am currently pricing a 50 gal with stand and the cheapest I can find is $310 ($231.32 USD). I know we paid around $500 (USD) for our 80 gal with stand and that was on sale because of a TINY, TINY crack that you can't see and does not affect the function.

[center:a852c82915]:clown: Pat yourself on the back--you got the deal of a lifetime! :clown:[/center:a852c82915]

Wow, got the tank to its storage basement. A LOT more work that I had anticipated but worth it. I can't wait to get it out of that place and into my apartment in august! Who would have thought glass weights that much! My forearms are hurting, that is for sure.

There was a big time fishy smell left in the tank after I had rinsed it out with a hose and I really didn't want to leave it and have bacteria infest the thing so I cleaned it out with a tiny bit of bleach. I will just have to rinse it out really good when I get ready to fill it right?

Back
Top Bottom