Get discus to eat pellets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. D

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been trying to get my discus to eat pellets now (new life spectrum) for about months now

Does anyone know a good way?

I've tried pellets and other food separate times of the day, same time as the beefheart and brine/bloodworms.

I use spectrum THREAD+A Small Fish by new life and my discus eat it. I dump some pellets for all my fish they eat it up and eat ever falls on the leads of my plants the discus eat it.

Yeah, I use that and they eat like a pellet every 2weeks and never look twice at it... They just ate it on there own?

Yea they started eating by themselves. They eat it everyday twice a day.

You have to keep offering it and hold off on feeding other stuff as much. It sounds like you are feeding twice a day, which is already a lot. I've had some of my fish go a few days before they figured out that they should be eating pellets.

Okay, I'll try that jus been a little scared to pull the feeding..... Yeah, I thought it wasn't that much, I know people who feed their discus 3-4 times a day, they grow pretty fast tho, lol

I got mine to eat pellets. I didn't feed them for a day then introduced the new food soaked in garlic concentrate in the morning when they are most hungry.

Last edited:
Okay, I never tried soaking the pellets in garlic first... Thanks

Mr. D said:
Okay, I'll try that jus been a little scared to pull the feeding..... Yeah, I thought it wasn't that much, I know people who feed their discus 3-4 times a day, they grow pretty fast tho, lol

I feed my discus 5 times a day because they are still in their growing stage. I also do 50%+ PWC a day to compensate on the overfeeding. Once they reached the certain size that I want them to be, I'd feed them less often. As long as you don't slack off on your WC, you can feed them 4-6 times a day.

Last edited:
Yeah I do a small 5gl 2x's a week on my 55gl...keeps my nitrates below 5ppm so I haven't had to do any large changes yet

Back
Top Bottom