Getting a second angelfish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis32

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone, I am just needing to know if it is ok to get a second angelfish? I have heard it is ok, and have been told not to get more than one. My tank is a 75 gallon FW community tank. It has zebra danios, Bossemani rainbowfish, cory catfish, one dalmation molly, and one angelfish that we have had for 6 months. It is the size of a silver dollar now. No idea if it is a boy or girl. Also, tank is no where near fully stocked yet. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G360P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You possibly could, but there's a handful of issues.

Problem 1: Your angelfish has probably prettymuch established the entire tank as his territory so adding another may end with the new guy getting killed

Problem 2: If the new angelfish pairs off a pair of angelfish could be a menace to the community.

I would say give it a shot, buy an angelfish of a similar size, but get it from a shop that accepts returns or have some other kind of backup plan.

I just tried adding an angelfish to a tank that had another angelfish. The old fish tried t kill the new one and i had to move it to another tank. now I have a tank that is a bit overstocked

It depends on the individual fish. As was said, your best bet is to try it out with an angel of similar size. Once they are adults and established in a territory, introducing a new angel is rather hit or miss, and success varies. Just aim for a similarly sized one, and keep an eye on them, for any behavior too severe and remove if necessary. Lots of hiding and places and line of sight breaks are very good as well. But, if a resident angel doesn't want the new-comer, there is not a lot you can do. At silver dollar sized, you should hopefully be ok though. I have still had much more success introducing them at that size than later when they are bigger. Good luck!

Ok. I might get a 2nd one (roughly same size) and see how it goes

Sent from my SM-G360P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If there are problems, change up the territories.

Take out the original angelfish and put into a bucket for a couple days if you have an extra heater and bubbler for air. Move some decorations around just to give the tank a different set up, even just toss in old plastic plants in a few places to change the tank territory.. then after the new fish has been in there for a couple days add back in the old one. See how that goes. You can then take out or put back things the way you want.

Sometimes they get along and sometimes they don't.

Back
Top Bottom