Getting back in to it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickmick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 15 gallon tank with a male beta and 8 ghost shrimp. The last time i had a fish tank i was 14. I had some blood fin tettras but they died when i went away on vacation. I just added the shrimp was wondering if anyone had some sugestions for me or if there are any other fish or anything else that i could put in the tank with them? (and yes that is a Guinness bottle in the tank and yes the beta goes in there)

Attachments

• DSCN6239.jpg
    DSCN6239.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN6242.jpg
    DSCN6242.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN6244.jpg
    DSCN6244.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 58
Nice betta colours, I would suggest Neon Tetras, they are very piece full or even molly, they are very good fishes too, never bother anyone and never gets bothered either, but it all depends on the fish.

How long has the tank been set up? Is it cycled? What is your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate reading?

IF the tank is fully cycled you might try some nano fish but not much else can go into a 15 gal with a betta. Even the nano fish might not work out of the Betta is aggressive. Some nano fish are celestial pearl danio, chili rasbora or ember tetra. I wouldn't do Neons; they are very active swimmers and need more horizontal swim space than a 15 gal can provide plus they may be too active for a Betta.

its been up for since august im gunna be honest i have no idea what the cycle means or the ph level is

Was the betta ok with his old tankmates? If he was ok them, I recommend looking into harlequin rasboras, neons, green neons, jellybean tetras, ember tetras, and chili rasbora as possible tankmates for your betta. :)

To learn what a cycle is, I suggest you read the links in library school's signature.
Cycling refers to the process of growing bacteria in the tank that change the ammonia from fish poop into a less harmful substance. :) Since your tank has been set up so long, it should be cycled by now.
Its a good idea to get a test kit though for future reference and to keep track of the overall health of the tank. :)

the tetras i had in there with him he was fine with unless they got to close to him then he would chase them they seemed to have more of a problem with each other then with him

I think floating plants would be nice, I would also add snails. Have you an interest in live plants? Your tank is the perfect size for a nano what are your plans for it?

never even thought about live plants again im just realy starting i have no idea what a nano is and as for plans i was just gunna put another fish or two in there

never even thought about live plants again im just realy starting i have no idea what a nano is and as for plans i was just gunna put another fish or two in there
If you go to your search engine and type in "freshwater nano tank images" you will get all types of pictures as an example. I mention it all because it seems the key to doing this successfully is to think as far "down the road" as you can.

Other than that I say you are doing good. I suggest floating plants because they can help with any toxins in your tank. It also helps a fish feel more in it's natural element. You've gotta think that they appreciate nature just as much as you do, right? So why not give them some plants to call their own?

a good bunch can be had for less than $5

Here is an example of a freshwater nano Not mine. found on the web. The tank on the left is very similar to yours.

Attachments

• freshwater nano.jpg
    freshwater nano.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom