Getting back into planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi there! It's been a while since I posted here. Had lots of success years ago with several planted tanks and a small reef tank. Life happened and I moved to Florida...set up a 36 gallon corner tank but did not have any luck with plants. Went back to plastic (eeek!!) but now I really want to get some live plants in there. My goal is relatively low maintenance plants as this tank resides at my folks house and while I'm there several times a week I don't want to spend all my time trimming and weeding. (In case you're wondering why the tank isn't at my own place, my house floats - I live on my boat).

Tank is a 36 gallon corner with 24 watt LED at 10000k. Substrate is Ecocomplete. Filstar canister filter. Moderate fish load - 6x rosy barbs, 6x Buenos Aires tetras, 2x Cory cats, 1 bristlenose pleco. Water changes done every 3-4 weeks. There is a carbon filter and water softener on the house. I just ordered a new set of test kits so I will post numbers when it arrives.

All attempts at plants in this tank have failed miserably. Plants melt away within days. I've tried all sorts, even the Java ferns disintegrated. I don't have any experience growing plants with LEDs (CFs were in vogue when I last kept a planted tank) so I don't have much sense for how much light I have.

Attachments

• IMG_9592.jpg
    IMG_9592.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 60
To me that sounds like something in the water to go that quick. I've got java fern here in a small tank under high light, no ferts / CO2 and it is hanging on.

Not sure how your water softener works. I have found some plants sensitive to salt or sodium.

That light looks awfully strong. Can't say for sure but it looks bright. If your trying for a low tech tank which means no CO2 supplementation and little to no fertilizers then too bright light could cause your situation

Here is why. The light is the engine that drives photosynthesis. Photosynthesis requires CO2 and fertilizers. You are using heavily filtered soft water, which essentially means it is stripped bare of elements.

IF that light is strong enough it will be triggering the plants to out grow its supply of available CO2 and Ferts. Which means the plant will consume itslef to satisfy the light power and eventually to its peril.

Try to raise the light up 6 inches if you can or dim it if possible. Then try adding 1/4 tsp of calcium chloride and 1/4 tsp of epsom salts to help with the soft water. Make sure there is no carbon in your canister filter to this strips trace elements and we want the plants to do that

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom