Getting Base Rock to show Coraline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flip_lx

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok this is an obvious question but i'm unsure what to do. I bought some "live" cured tufa base rock off the net. The seller told me and showed me pics its cured in tanks with regular (ie. has a lot of coraline) live rock and corals. My question is do i need to seed it with LR showing coraline already to get them to have the growth or will it show up on its own in sometime (ie. months+)? The tank is baron besides this cured BR and a holed rock (was fully dead dried and different type) and my mollies, no algae onlything that touches the rocks are fry and leftover bits of food

My lighting is good (130watts dual 6500k being swapped for actinic and 50/50 shortly) alk is ok (roughly 180ish ppm) haven't found a ca test kit yet and my PH seems dead set around 8.2(albit high but it hasn't changed once while working with any this tank or my FW) will these factors turn out the coraline? or should i buy a few small pieces that are covered in it or ask my lfs to scrape some off (would that even work scrape it off their glass/pumps and drop it into my tank)?

flip_lx said:
or should i buy a few small pieces that are covered in it or ask my lfs to scrape some off (would that even work scrape it off their glass/pumps and drop it into my tank)?

Scrape some off in the tank would be some good seeding for corraline. You`ll need some good readings of calcium and alk.

Either, or. :) A nice piece of fully covered liverock would be nice and be a lot quicker than just a few "shavings" but either works. Coraline has to be introduced somehow.

Back
Top Bottom