Getting in...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaBud

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I must say after lurking here for a week or two this is the place to be!

My wife and I was given a 20 gallon starter kit about two weeks ago. It sat in the box for a week while I read online as much as I could.

Saturday we put it together. It's a Top Fin ( I know now) with white sand like substrate. I kept the hob filter and added a smaller one. I also ditched the stock hood and got a glass hinged top and added 2 23 watt cfl bulbs in 5 1/2 inch brooder lights placed on the glass top. I found a piece of driftwood at a lfs and boiled it for several hours.

Thanks to another member of this board I came into some seeded media that I added today.

I have a few lingering questions though.

Should I still be cycling like I would be fish less with seeded material in the tank?

I'm showing about 2 ppm on the ammonia, 0 on nitrite and about 5 on the nitrate. This tank has been running since early Saturday. I have 2 Anubis Nanas, 2 java ferns, and a big bunch of Java moss. I have flourish and co2 booster but I have yet to use it.

Also, is this too much light for this setup? I'm going to add wisteria and hornwort in the next few days when I can find some lol.

You have to have a steady source of ammonia to see when it cycled so yes watch it like your doing a fish less.

No problem. I did the same thing recently, the seeded media only sped up the cycling process to about a week only.

rhsoto is entirely correct. Pretend you're fishless cycling from scratch and dose it that way, and it will just finish a lot faster.

My nitrites are now off the charts but showing only 20 nitrates. My ammonia went down from 4 to .25 since last night. Closer and closer lol. Now to find some floating plants...

Back
Top Bottom