Getting my First Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright my tank is ready for fish and i will be going to pick up 1 or 2 to start out nothing big or expensive..... What should be some good food to get for my fish? I might pick-up only one clown for now and maybe a small Damsel.... Not decided yet but any suggestion?

Why not skip the damsel and get a pair of clowns? There are quite a bit of frozen food varities available to you so choose one with a well rounded assortment with decent "meatiness."

Tank - my tank is not finished cycling yet but I am going to add a pair of clowns when it is ready. I have universally been warned about the damsels being territorial (and hard to catch if you need to pull them out) - so I am going to pass on them.
Have you planned out the other species you want yet? It is a good idea to do that as there is a maximum capacity (even lower if you are planning to have corals). You will also want to review fish compatability (chart on here somewhere) to make sure that everyone is likely to get along.
I can't wait to hear about your progress - since you are ahead of me and can lead the way! Good luck and have fun!

Tank - my tank is not finished cycling yet but I am going to add a pair of clowns when it is ready. I have universally been warned about the damsels being territorial (and hard to catch if you need to pull them out) - so I am going to pass on them.
Have you planned out the other species you want yet? It is a good idea to do that as there is a maximum capacity (even lower if you are planning to have corals). You will also want to review fish compatability (chart on here somewhere) to make sure that everyone is likely to get along.
I can't wait to hear about your progress - since you are ahead of me and can lead the way! Good luck and have fun!

Yeah I just got home from the LFS and I got what I could afford I was only getting one Clown as what I wanted for now because money is tight..... But the LFS store guy gave me a Damsel for Free...:) Which I was going to skip.... As suggested by many of you..... But I could not turn down Free I asked him for a Free Clown but he was like UUUUMMMm No!..... LOL..... Oh he also Suggested Marine Flakes just to start off Some Frozen Food Called Prime Reef ....

just goin out on a limb but im thinkin that he wanted to get rid of it.

Maybe but hey it's free..... Well right now they both are getting acclimated with the tank.... oh and i got an Ocellaris Clown.... and it was a 4 striped Damsel... But well see what happens with everything and how they both interact with each other.....

Your right Free isn't always a good thing..... Well I can always take it out and give it back..... but I guess i will deal with it for now.... I am still new at this so let the Free be a Learning experience at my LFS.... :)

What is best to feed my Clown Fish? Oh and bye the way I took the Dwarf Octopus out that I had and took it to the LFS got only a $20 credit for it..... Since it's life span was only 6-12 months..... for that type..... But I got a new Waver maker with it at least paid for half......

I got my first fish a couple weeks ago.. got a pair of black saddleback clowns... they are sooooo fun to watch. They are attached at the hip to my frogspawn lol

hey Tank! How are the new fish doing? My nitrites are now down to 0.3 so I'm getting closer! I'm encouraged by the fact that you now have fish.

hey Tank! How are the new fish doing? My nitrites are now down to 0.3 so I'm getting closer! I'm encouraged by the fact that you now have fish.

They are doing Great, Since it's day 2 for my first clown and day one for my second Clown it's been Pretty cool watching them.... My damsel is actually pretty cool too, too watch, I like it cause he's a little scavenger... Even thou they can get aggressive and territorial I think he would do fine Once I add a few more fish not many more maybe 2 more helpfully a Coral Beauty and a Algae Blennie by that time I'll have more LR in my tank by then so my aquascaping should get better and change over the next coming months......

Sounds Great Tank... Would love to see some pictures of the tank in progress

Sounds Great Tank... Would love to see some pictures of the tank in progress
You can view My other Thread I have going I have Pictures up With my progress..... I posted them in (NEWBIE TO SALTWATER AQUARIUM) or you can view my profile and I have a few more Pictures in there... Some pictures of my Progress.... Hope you guys like them....:):)

Alright here is just a few pictures...... I did a re- aquascape I wasn't to happy with the other one.... But i am getting some more base rock next week so I will add that in another week or so..... But here are a few...

Attachments

• IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1096.jpg
    IMG_1096.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1095.jpg
    IMG_1095.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1094.jpg
    IMG_1094.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 53
I have a blue devil damsel that I added first I added a 3-strip damsel second and a clownfish last. everytime I added a new one they would chase each other for about a week and then they just got used to each other and their newly developed territories They don't really have territories they go everywhere and even pal around together at times. I have seen very little aggression mainly because they are all the same size. If I put a smaller fish in it would probably be murdered.

Clownfish pairs are much cooler they don't really leave each others side much

Tank - Actually I really liked the damsels and had several on my "list" until I was warned about the aggression. The electric blue, yellow tail, black and white are really lovely specimens. If the other fish are the same size or smaller there may be less trouble.
Your aquascaping is cool! How did you attach the rocks together so that you have an arch? I still have room for some live rock, too and would like to consider a bit of an arch - great swim through!

Back
Top Bottom