getting (re)started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyjim30

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, after being away for a year, I come home and find that my tank is bone dry, absolutely filthy, and my fish are dead. So much for trusting someone else to take care of things. :( Anyway, I could use some advice on how to get things cleaned up again. I'm thinking goldfish this time. Is there a chemical to get the plastic plants clean? It seems a shame to have to throw out all the interior stuff.

I am sorry this happened! :( Have you given any thought to what type of goldfish your thinking of keeping? Plastic plants/any type of sharp decor are not necessarily the best choice because they can damage delicate fancies eyes/finnage. Let us know how big the tank is & what your considering & we can better advise! :)

I have a 37 gallon tank. If plastic plants are a bad idea what would you recommend? I have no idea what type of goldfish I'll wind up getting or if I'll get goldfish at all. I had tetras and plecos last time. I'm just trying for something different this time.

Well cant you just scrub the plastic plants in warm water? Sorry to hear bout your tank.
Id recommend live plants :) all fish would appreciate that

I geuss I should have been a little more clear. Since the plants (and everything else) have been stewing in stagnant water and rotted fish waste for a year, I was wondering if scrubbing with warm water will be sufficient to remove all contaminants or if I need a special chemical. I've seen references to a chemical made just to clean plastic aquarium plants. It would be a shame to reassemble everything and introduce fish only to have them die because some toxin was hiding in the crevices of a decoration.

Bleach or hydrogen peroxide. I've used both.
With bleach mix it with about 15 parts water. Spray on and let soak. Then rinse really well!
With peroxide spray on full strength. Let soak. Again, rinse really well!
Id recommend the peroxide, less likely to discolor anything.

crazyjim30 said:
I geuss I should have been a little more clear. Since the plants (and everything else) have been stewing in stagnant water and rotted fish waste for a year, I was wondering if scrubbing with warm water will be sufficient to remove all contaminants or if I need a special chemical. I've seen references to a chemical made just to clean plastic aquarium plants. It would be a shame to reassemble everything and introduce fish only to have them die because some toxin was hiding in the crevices of a decoration.

Ya, i suppose its better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably use bleach or peroxide since it's gotta be cheaper than something marketed specifically to the aquarium community.

That must be devastating. How long was it running before you went away?

Who would let a tank just die like that and sit like that? I did when I was 13.. but I was 13!!

I'd expect some serious whooping of someone's rear end!

Oh well, onwards and upwards as they say. Give you a chance to try something new *happy dance*

Fun!

While it was sad to see my tank like that I'm always glad to have an excuse to go stare at the pretty fishies at PetSmart. Perhaps I'll use this as an excuse to buy some power tools. Boys and their toys! :)

What do I use to clean the glass? Once again, there are products specifically for aquariums, but there has to be a less expensive option. Windex is out of the question. It leaves a chemical residue that can be harmful to fish.

What do I use to clean the glass? Once again, there are products specifically for aquariums, but there has to be a less expensive option. Windex is out of the question. It leaves a chemical residue that can be harmful to fish.

vinegar!! There isn't much a scraper and vinegar can't get off glass. lol. Takes some elbow grease but if you can tip the aquarium on it's side and let it soak on that side for a bit it will make your job easier.

So....I went to a local pet supply store to get some cleaning supplies and was told that Windex is perfectly acceptable. Given the fact that the guy makes a box of rocks look smart, I'm not sure how much I trust his opinion.

So after two hours of cleaning, this is what I have. I probably have another two hours to go before I'm ready to leak test.

ForumRunner_20120713_225124.jpg

but arent goldfish known to snack on live plants(maybe not java fern)? If plastic plants can damage fins, maybe the fabric like softer plastic Plants could do less damage to finnage.

There are some lovely silk plants available. I don't know whether you get Aqua One brands there, but that's what I use with my gold fish and they love them and look the most natural of the fake stuff.

Athaocity said:
but arent goldfish known to snack on live plants(maybe not java fern)? If plastic plants can damage fins, maybe the fabric like softer plastic Plants could do less damage to finnage.

Silk plants are fine though live is always better. I have never had an issue with my guys eating the greenery except when unfed on short term vacations. Even then, it was very minimal. Uprooting is bigger issue but anchors work until things are established. The type of goldfish make a difference as well as the type of plants. :)

I happened to have a conversation with a gentleman who installs and services pools in the area I live in. He commented that our well water has a very high level of sodium and has almost no calcium. Will this impact fish selection?

Back
Top Bottom