Getting scuba certified

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nu-Nu the eel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys! As a gift for doing well in school this past year, my parents have offered to get myself, brother, and sister scuba certified :) we have gone scuba diving once before in hawaii and it was amazing, the best experience ever! We saw so much wildlife, and now that i have a greater knowledge of saltwater life, i think it will be even more fun for me!

Anyways, i will be diving in California and off the coast near Catalina. I was wondering if anyone knew of cool fish/corals/any type if life i will see down there!

If you also like to scuba dive, please chime in and tell me how you like it! :) thanks!

I've been scuba diving since I was 12. (I know it's only been 5 years) but you really do see a lot!! It's a lot of fun. Not too many anemones though. You'd have to go far for that.

Ive been diving in Palm Beach Fl, Turks & Caicos, curaçao, Bonaire (the best IMO), and the keys. Really it depends (obviously where you go) for depth. In Florida I usually max at 50, where as curaçao I've been at 96ft. The best are wall dives. You're going to have a blast man! Great for fish tankers. Lol

Haha cool! I really want to research the fish i will see there so i can feel smart when i see them! Haha! The max i went in hawaii was 60 feet... But we were only allowed to go 40... Haha

I assume catalina gobys live in catalina. Haha :) other then that im not sure

I had to do it in college as part of some job requirements, but theres only so much brown water I care to look at on the Texas coast. I gave it up shortly thereafter.

Thats a shame... I guess we will be going to catalina alot this summer :)

Does anyone know of the species of fish we will see there???

Hey guys i went scuba diving for my certification class today :) we saw some GREAT stuff! It was so fun.... We are going to bring our gopro tomorrow (we are going again for the class) and hopefully my brother and i can create a cool little video for yall to watch :)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Hey guys i went scuba diving for my certification class today :) we saw some GREAT stuff! It was so fun.... We are going to bring our gopro tomorrow (we are going again for the class) and hopefully my brother and i can create a cool little video for yall to watch :)

that's awesome! I'm scuba certified but can't dive now due to no babysitter. It was so much fun though! My first check out dive was in the puget sound- very cold water! I didn't realize I was "gulping air" into my stomach. It didn't take too long before I felt like I was getting sea sick and had to stop diving because I was not going to throw up through my regulator. That would have been disgusting. But you are in CA! Nice warm water compared to here in WA!

... I have a Sherwood CQR-2 BCD size XL for sale... I've used it twice.... It has an integrated weight system....

My family runs a dive certification business. Teaching, certifying, dive trips, etc. It's amazing

emerald76 said:
My family runs a dive certification business. Teaching, certifying, dive trips, etc. It's amazing

Wow! Thats really cool! So, i guess youve been diving forever right?

Gboy66 said:
Wow! Thats really cool! So, i guess youve been diving forever right?

Nope. Haven't found the time to get certified- in a year or so I probably will

Weird! I thought you would be an expert!!

Bear, going well! Not certified yet tho...the instructor is kinda a flake. We only need to do 1 more dive. The day we WERE there, and about to do the last one, but he was scared of the larger waves. Psh..Jack and i welcome big sets with welcome arms!! But, i guess not everyone is like that...hmm...;)

Gboy66 said:
Weird! I thought you would be an expert!!

Bear, going well! Not certified yet tho...the instructor is kinda a flake. We only need to do 1 more dive. The day we WERE there, and about to do the last one, but he was scared of the larger waves. Psh..Jack and i welcome big sets with welcome arms!! But, i guess not everyone is like that...hmm...;)

Better to be safe with super novice divers. I hope you get your last dive soon!

Bearchumjs said:
Better to be safe with super novice divers. I hope you get your last dive soon!

Hahaha, i think he was scared himself:)

But ya, prob smarter just to delay

Everyone stay tuned for our scuba video..almost done with it.

Ill make a new thread for it in the Aquaria: off topic section i think.

Would that be the proper place for it? Or watering hole?

Gboy66 said:
Everyone stay tuned for our scuba video..almost done with it.

Ill make a new thread for it in the Aquaria: off topic section i think.

Would that be the proper place for it? Or watering hole?

Watering hole is always a safe choice!

Back
Top Bottom