Getting Started Again, Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spazz67

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello I got a few questions. First I got two new fish on Wensday, 2 clowns, an anemone, and a red leg hermit. At the present time the clowns seem to be doing good, hermit crab is hiding some where in there, but the anemone is causing me to worry. The guy at the pet store said that the light was good enough for the anemone. Ok I have a few questions.
1. Is 10,000k strong enough for an Anemone?
2. Should the anemone be doing this? It was open now it's closed tightly.
DSC0012.JPG
3. If the velvet (which causes fear in my heart after the last time) is still in the tank how long should it be till it starts effecting the clowns? (last time it became visible with in 24-48 hours)
4. Is this lighting good enough for corals?
5. Are any of these Macro Algae any good for the Fuge/sump? (Chaetomorpha Chaeto Macro Algae, Red Flower Macro Algae , and Red Grape Macro Algae)
My Stats are below as well as the readings from my water tests, an Equipment list, and a livestock list (sorry on my other post I had the wrong snails listed but corrected now).

Here is my stats on 3/06/09:
Calcium:
Carbonate Hardness: 9dkh or 161.1ppm kh
Phosphate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
PH 8.4
Ammonia: 0
Salt: 1.025

Our Equipment List
Lighting/Hood = RO1636 Model#36PSDX Rated 120 VAC 60 HZ 40 WT

Bulb = OceanSun 10,000K 25watts

Tank = 46 gal bow face H=21in W= 3ft Short D= 12in Long D= 16in with glass cover.

Powerheads/wavemakers/Heater = 3x UL 100 wt heaters, UV Sterilizer 9Watt (output 800 L/H powerhead.

Filters= 2x Whisper 10-30i with Biofilters
3in (100 lbs appx) live sand bed (4/50 lbs bags of non sicila playsand mixed with 25 lbs of reef orster shells and seeded with 20 lbs of actural live sand and cycled for about 8 weeks. Still have about 120/140 lbs dried, sealed, and stored in our building).

2 Bio Pro Sk-40 Air Driven Protein Skimmer

Trickle filter

29 gal refuge

15lbs LR (yeah I know I need more about 70 lbs more.)

Livestock= 2 true PA clowns (could be false PA sold as true)
1 turbo snail
1 Black nassarius snail
1 Cerith snail
2 serpent starfish (one light brown and the other striped)
1 Peppermint Shrimp
3 Feather Duster
1 Red Leg Hermit Crab
1 Sebae Anemone
1 Unidentified crab the size of a nickel in my fuge

You don't have nearly enough light for the anemone if I read it right. 25 watts on a 46G (21" high) tank. Not sure how long you've been up and running but your tank should be established for at least 6-9 months before you try an anemone.

With respect to the starfish. Doesn't sound like there is many places for them to hide in the day time. They are scavengers and will feed on waste in an aquarium. With only 2 small clowns, what are you feeding them?

Your lighting is way too low. Your LFS was way off track. seabae anenomes need high lighting of about 5-6 wpg. You`ll probably need T5`s or MH`s to keep it going.

Not sure how long you've been up and running but your tank should be established for at least 6-9 months before you try an anemone.

With respect to the starfish. Doesn't sound like there is many places for them to hide in the day time. They are scavengers and will feed on waste in an aquarium. With only 2 small clowns, what are you feeding them?

Our tank has be up and running from July 1, 2008. We found this sight about 2 mts after we started. The starfishes are doing great, we got them in Nov of last year and they are growing good. They eat small peices of raw soaked shrimp every three days. We also have a few ornimental items in our tank that have holes in them, they love the one with tubes that our feather dusters are in.... They also take the shrimp out or our hands.,,, Going to check on some 5T's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom