Ghost knife fish feeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan9528

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a BGK, he is a little guy, I was wondering how much I should feed him. Right now I am giving him 1 ice-cube of bloodworms daily.

One cube is too much in my experience. I try to find mine half a cube ever two of three days.

Also I trust you're aware than despite him being a little guy he's going to turn into a big guy in a few years? :)

Yes:) I was told about a foot. Also I have silvertip tetras that like to nip at tails, is that something I should be concerned about with the BGK

Ryan9528 said:
Yes:) I was told about a foot. Also I have silvertip tetras that like to nip at tails, is that something I should be concerned about with the BGK

I don't think you need to worry about that. The BGK is much faster and smarter then the Silvertips. And, he will stay in hiding during the day time for a while until he is comfortable enough to browse around in the day time. If anything your little Tetras may become a snack if they are not careful.

Thank you very much, I lost one a couple weeks ago to ick and I wanted to make sure this one lived a long happy life:)

blert said:
I don't think you need to worry about that. The BGK is much faster and smarter then the Silvertips. And, he will stay in hiding during the day time for a while until he is comfortable enough to browse around in the day time. If anything your little Tetras may become a snack if they are not careful.

This. Just as importantly BGK are able to omit small electric pulses to protect themselves so he'll be fine. As blert says it'll be the tetra who you'll have to worry about shortly :)

Ryan9528 said:
Thank you very much, I lost one a couple weeks ago to ick and I wanted to make sure this one lived a long happy life:)

They can stress easily in poor water quality. This, of course, can lead to illness and disease. Keep yourself on a weekly 50% PWC schedule and he should do fine.

Try spot feeding him some blood worms from a medicine dropper for a while. He will get used to your hand and soon be plucking food from your fingers. Mine pokes his little head out and takes sinking carnivore pellets right from my fingers.

I feed mine 1 cube a night but of course my other fish eat it too so maybe a half a cube for you.

Thank you everyone for the info, it helped a great deal

Back
Top Bottom