ghost shrimp frantically swimming against glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smilla4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a female ghost shrimp w/eggs which was frantically swimming against the sides of the tank like she wants to get out. I've just done a water change and added iodine (maybe she's freaking out cuz it may trigger her to molt)? I took her out and put her in a separate container (watered it down a bit with fresh water hoping to dilute the iodine) but still the same behavior. I've had a couple of shrimp deaths in the past couple of days and a couple of others seem to be struggling. It seems like the water params (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) are consistently normal, but I went ahead and did a 40% water change thinking something was funky in my tank. My fish seem ok, but since the water change they seem to be hanging out close to the wall she was targeting, which is close to the filter.

Crap she mellowed out after I put her back in the tank, but now has turned a little opaque. I've added Seachem Flourish to the tank, I'm wondering if that's what's affecting them.

if a ghost shrimp is anything but transparent.. they are dying or dead... just fyi...

+1
agreed....turning opaque is not a good sign.

Perhaps something in your water is making them sick. I would add a new actrivated carbon to remove the impurities and stay on the water changes for the next week to make sure whatever is making the shrimp sick doesn't affect your fish.

Is the frantic behavior the only thing that made you think something was wrong? Ghost shrimp can be active little guys sometimes, especially at feeding. I see mine running all around all the time and think nothing of it, and they have been alive and healthy for months. If its looking opaque now its probably because of all the stress and chemicals you have been adding. Are these newly purchased shrimp? Ghost shrimp usually arent the healthiest when purchased in the first place (mostly considered a feeder invert) so those dying wouldnt be a big concern of mine, although ive never had problems with ghost shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom