Ghost shrimp help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishingMouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I bought some ghost shrimp and got them acclimated and then once they were in my tank I noticed one was berried o.o they're all big enough right now that the betta is leaving them alone, but what should I do if I want the larvae to survive? I was not anticipating this in the least!

Attachments

• image-1694917567.jpg
    image-1694917567.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 70
So I bought some ghost shrimp and got them acclimated and then once they were in my tank I noticed one was berried o.o they're all big enough right now that the betta is leaving them alone, but what should I do if I want the larvae to survive? I was not anticipating this in the least!

That's cool! What I have read/learned on here is that ghost shrimp large need brackish water to grow up in. I currently have a few berried females as well. I just let em go through the cycle.

I have no idea how to work with brackish water though, and I have cories in my tank >.< so should I just let it run and hope for the best?

I have no idea how to work with brackish water though, and I have cories in my tank >.< so should I just let it run and hope for the best?

Cories won't bother it. You might want someone with more knowledge than me chime in, but I'd just let nature do it's thing.

Well I'm more worried about trying for brackish and it hurting my cories/betta/plants

Well I'm more worried about trying for brackish and it hurting my cories/betta/plants

Brackish water will probably kill your plants and your cories, and won't be good for your betta. Also, the ghost shrimp fry are hard to raise even in brackish water.

If you want to raise shrimp, but a 5.5G with a heater, sponge filter, etc. Pack a ton of plants in it, cycle it, then buy some red cherry shrimp. They are almost too easy to breed!

It's not so much as purposeful breeding as it is me wondering if I can have any survive....I might get a breeding net and just see what happens

1 table spoon of salt per 10 gallons is good for your fish and will not kill your plants. I've raised shrimp under these conditions many times. I also have a tank just for the shrimp with a sponge filter because the fish will make a quick snack out of them. If you aren't prepared to raise them you should just let your fish eat them. It's a healthy addition to their diet so long as as they don't over eat.

Please Don't add Salt !! It's not good for your Plants or your Cories. My clubmember breeds Cories.

Some Ghost Shrimp sometimes have larvae survive in a FW tank.

Most are NOT easy to breed so don't stress about it. Larvae are tiny. A net wont work AFAIK.

Unless you plan to breed them in a separate tank, just let them be. Larvae would be eaten by your fish anyway.

The ones you have may not even be the same species. The eggs may not even be fertile. There are many look alike species of Ghost/Grass Shrimp.

Just enjoy your Shrimp. If you want to breed Shrimp set up an RCS tank :)

Tina
Supporting Member
San Francisco Bay Area Aquatic Plant Society

Back
Top Bottom