Ghost shrimp in QT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I read a thread awhile back about some awful thing hitchhiking in a snail - I think it was leeches or something-- and taking over the tank.
So I got an assassin snail and 15 ghost shrimp recently and put them in my qt. The snail is going to stay there because it's the only place that has enough pond snails to keep him happy... But the shrimp? Do I need to qt them at all, and if so, for how long? I have understood that any disease that infects shrimp is not transferable to fish, but after losing a few fish mysteriously lately I am feeling extra cautious. Advice?

LOL!! That was my post about the disgusting leeches! Qt the shrimp- all i can say from this 'learning experience' is its much better to be safe than sorry!!!! Give them atleast 2wks in Qt and be sure they all seem healthy before moving them. :)

OMG that thread gave me nightmares!!! Glad you saw this one! Ok, I will keep them in qt! The place I got them from was pretty skeezy... When I asked for the assassin snail the guy says, "I'm not sure if I have any live ones in there..." and he digs around and finds a live one, so I ask innocently "what would kill all those assassin snails?" and he says something along the lines of "they ran out of food." umm... Isn't that your job? You know, to feed them?

OMG that thread gave me nightmares!!! Glad you saw this one! Ok, I will keep them in qt! The place I got them from was pretty skeezy... When I asked for the assassin snail the guy says, "I'm not sure if I have any live ones in there..." and he digs around and finds a live one, so I ask innocently "what would kill all those assassin snails?" and he says something along the lines of "they ran out of food." umm... Isn't that your job? You know, to feed them?

They have a tank full of dead snails?!?!? Ewww!! Yes, def qt everybody!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom