Ghost shrimp with a clutch of eggs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abemas

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just noticed one of my ghost shrimp is sporting about 30+ eggs under her tail. They are a soft light green color and she seems very careful with how she moves about. Anybody had this happen in their FW tank or that can offer suggestions on how to make sure the little ones make it? They are in with platys and otos.

Abemas said:
Just noticed one of my ghost shrimp is sporting about 30+ eggs under her tail. They are a soft light green color and she seems very careful with how she moves about. Anybody had this happen in their FW tank or that can offer suggestions on how to make sure the little ones make it? They are in with platys and otos.

Lots of hiding places...do you have a planted tank?

Can u take And post a picture? Then we can probably predict when she will lay the eggs or when he eggs will hatch.

I had same some while back, unfortunately no young shrimp though.
When I noticed the eggs, I read up somewhere that in the wild, shrimp-mom would go towards the sea and release her eggs into slightly salty water. All a bit much to emulate the right conditions, but it would be interesting to hear if anyone has managed to get any success. I tried to get a result the next time round, putting shrimp-mom in her own tank with lots of cover, then gradually added sea-salt. One day the eggs were no longer evident so I had to gradually take shrimp-mom back to FW conditions. Left the 'slightly salted' tank for about a month and no show for any young shrimp. I would be overjoyed if I could achieve a result, shrimps are really entertaining.

Tank has some cover and a few fake plants. Nothing I'm proud of =). It was hard to get a good shot but I did catch her munching on some left over cucumber in the corner.

Attachments

• Shrimp 001.jpg
    Shrimp 001.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Shrimp 002.jpg
    Shrimp 002.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Shrimp 003.jpg
    Shrimp 003.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 81
Don't get too excited...I have berried females quite often and they have yet to produce any young. Unfortunately it seems as though that is the case for many who have ghost shrimp.

If you have a filter or any other fish, forget it. They love shrimp babies.

If you have a filter or any other fish, forget it. They love shrimp babies.

That's not necessarily true if hiding places are provided. I have RCS and they reproduce like there is no tomorrow. Just no luck with ghost shrimp. Some species of Ghost shrimp need brackish water to successfully reproduce but ghost shrimp also have a short larval stage which is where I think the problem occurs. Ghost shrimp larvae don't swim, they float through the water column, so in normal aquarium environments they most likely can not find enough micro-foods to grow.

i had some ghost shrimp and successfully had a couple babies survive. it was tough though. no filters, or other fish, a small air stone. i fed them a mix of rotifers and this stuff i picked up at petsmart called first bites. really not worth the effort since they are cheap as dirt anyway.

Could you put her in one of those breeding cages at the top of the tank?

Back
Top Bottom