Ghost Shrimp with Eggs!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

College Kid

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just saw one of my ghost shrimp which looks like it has a clutch of eggs underneath. So I'm happy. Lol. Do they have any chance of hatching? I've heard they need plants, but the tank they're in has no live ones, just a bunch of fake ones.

We've had 4 ghost shrimps and each one every few weeks has had loads of eggs underneath but they soon go. I noticed one of mine actually pulling them out themselves. I dont actually think they are fertilised though even though they carry them....I'm sure I read that but I could be wrong

When ghost shrimp eggs hatch they are in a larval stage and are very very difficult to feed and most likely will not make it to their shrimp stage. I have ghost shrimps berried all the time and I've never even seen any of their eggs hatch or even their larva.

Are gs eggs fertilized after being laid, or before? Dies this mean that the other shrimp in there (only 2 right now) is a male?

I've successfully raised ghost shrimp in a mature 10 gallon tank, no special feeding, small ammount of plants, no brackish water and with predators. I had about 4 adults, 2 males an 2 females. After about 5 months, I saw about 9 smaller ghost shrimp walkin around:) so it definitely is possible!

That is awesome but i have neons and a small dragon scale betta he doesn't attempt to eat the shrimp but I'm sure the babies floating would look like food

Are the eggs in your shrimp green cause mine are its weird I have like 12 of them an like 5 of them were huge like an inch or two long and full of green eggs

Austin.b said:
I've successfully raised ghost shrimp in a mature 10 gallon tank, no special feeding, small ammount of plants, no brackish water and with predators. I had about 4 adults, 2 males an 2 females. After about 5 months, I saw about 9 smaller ghost shrimp walkin around:) so it definitely is possible!

You give me hope!

And yeah mine are green. Is that bad?

Fishandmusic81 said:
That is awesome but i have neons and a small dragon scale betta he doesn't attempt to eat the shrimp but I'm sure the babies floating would look like food

Yeah I think they would definitely be food but there are some pretty easy ways to get over that:)

Bates1990 said:
Are the eggs in your shrimp green cause mine are its weird I have like 12 of them an like 5 of them were huge like an inch or two long and full of green eggs

Yeah haha don't worry, they can sometimes be yellow and green.ive seen both in my tank:)

Back
Top Bottom