Ghost Shrip and Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wes910

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i got a 55 gal tank with 2 african cichliads there bout 1.5 in long. do you think they will eat the shrimp?

Yes, but it might take them a while. I put some ghosts in with my jewel. At first the jewel was afraid, and was actually chased out of his favorite hiding spot. Later he became curious and figured out that the shrimp fit in his mouth, a quick suck later and I was left with an empy shell of a head. The jewel then proceded to do this to the rest of the dozen.

hum 32 cents at wal-mart?....i guess i can pick up a few...i just wanted to get them to eat the un-eatin food on the bottom on the tank

I agree that they'll be eaten, although they're cheap enough to give them a try.

I had a rather unfortunate incident with trying to use black phantom tetras as dither fish in my cichlid tank. I thought they were too big to be eaten. I was wrong. :( They disappeared (and I mean DISAPPEARED) at a rate of one or two per night until I pulled the remaining two out and moved them into a safer environment.

So yeah... I think they'll eat the shrimp. :)

There is no question that the ghost shrimp will be eaten. There are very few fish that won't eat them if they are large enough to.

Depending on what type of Africans you've got, you may want to be really careful about feeding too much live foods. Mbuna need a diet consisting of mostly vegetable matter: too much live "critter" proteins can lead to Malawi Bloat.

Back
Top Bottom