"Giant" Danios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lotocus

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone had much experience mixing "giant" Danios with regular Zebra Danios? I have a 75 I am in the process of stocking. I already have about 15 zebra danios, some Tiger Barbs, a couple Mollies and a number of Cory Cats. I'm looking for a few larger fish that will play nice with everyone. I like the Bala Shark and Siamese Algae Eater, but the pet store has Giant Danios on sale this month and those are nice looking fish too, and about the size I would like.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

I personally don't care for them. They are almost impossible to catch, they aren't personable at all, and the ones I had could be nippy, depending on the fish. I won't have any again.

Never done any of the danios. I do like your thought of the Bala sharks. I've had them before in my 75 as a group of 3, then rehomed them to my buddies 125. I'd say there close to 5, maybe 5-1/2" and over 4 years now. They're listed as semi aggressive but I'd say there more passive and closer to docile.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

I really like the Balas, but just worry they will get too big too fast for my 75 gallon. The Siamese Algae Eaters look like a possible alternative, although the ones I saw at the fish store seemed to like to hide among the plants and decorations. I'd like one to "patrol" the open areas (while not harassing the existing fish).

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413152328.039395.jpg
On top of picture is my regular giant danio their ok with zebra rearly they chase them but can't catch them

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've done 13 different species of danios in all and I did mix giants with zebra momentarily. The giants were actually the most personal of the danios I've kept. They were, however, also hyperactive (this coming from a species that is known for being hyper). They had extremely interesting social dynamics as far as it went.

I'd say in a 75 gallon, that they'd be fine together. If you are looking for another larger species of danio, I highly recommend Rose Danio (3") or Moustache Danio (5") both of which have the size, but slightly less energy. Danios have a reputation for fin nipping, but I have never had an issue with any of the species I've had.

If you're looking for a large schooling fish that's not a danio species, maybe odessa barbs or congo tetras, both which I'm considering for my 55g. Or Boesemani rainbow, which I have kept, and adore their personalities and their colors.

Thanks for the input. Going to have to think about this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had a school of 9 of them for about four months, including four I raised from eggs. They were beautiful and left everyone else alone (no fin nipping), but I ended up rehoming them because they NEVER settled down--they are so hyper! It wasn't restful to watch my tank, nor was it restful for the other fish. Catching them to rehome them took me hours--and I had to lower the tank level way down, too. They are incredibly fast.

Back
Top Bottom