giant gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swmmnglessons

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought a giant gourami yesterday and put him in my 20 high with a thick lipped gourami, 4 neon tetras, a frog and an otocinclus. Good idea? Will he outgrow the tank? Does anybody have giants?

Giant Gourami

I'll give this a shot Without having a physical description of the fish.

There are two different labyrinth fish commonly referred to as the Giant Gourami. One is the true Giant Gourami (Osphronemus goramy) and can grow up to 2 feet or more in length.

Although primarily vegetarians, the fish should be fed a varied diet. They are voracious eaters, and growth is rapid.

The over-all color is maroon, with a darker cast to the throat which gets bluish at times. The belly is whiter than other parts of the body. Albino specimens are known, and a red variety is very popular among the Chinese.

The natural areas for this fish are Thailand, Malaysia, Borneo, Sumatra, Java and various East Indian islands.

The next one commonly called the Giant Gourami is actually the Indian Gourami (Colisa fasciata). This is not a "giant" fish; in fact, it generally grows to be no more than 2 or 3 inches. It is a deep bodied, light blue fish with orange lines. The dorsal fin is colorless and there is yellow or orange trim on the anal and caudal fins. There are many different strains and color varieties.

Coming from the East coast of India and in the lowlands around the Ganges and Brahmaputra, North-eastern India and East Pakistan, also in Burma.

Both fish can be somewhat aggressive but usually will not create havoc with tankmates unless they are small enough to be eaten as they will take live food.

Ph 7.0
Temp 72-80

Hope this helps...

Back
Top Bottom