Giving up and breaking down a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I offically give up on my 72g tank. I've watched waaaaay too many fish hang around for no longer than 2 months then die for mysterous reasons.

So far I've lost:
Porcupine puffer died after 2 months, eating up until the day he died
Clown trigger never really seemed to eat a whole lot, got skinner and color started to fade until he died
Antennata lionfish eye became cloudy, got maracyn II today to treat but he was dead when I got home
Harlequin tusk hung around for a month or so and may have been killed by my pp puffer
Huge domino damsel may have been stung by lionfish, had a big red bulge on his side and slept up against the lionfish.
Awesome 2ft Black edge moray that jumped out somehow after two weeks even thought I had school books on the lid. Found him dried up on my carpet in the morning.

I"m sure a few more if I though more about it but I'd be even more upset.

The tank has probably 60lbs of LR along with some bioballs in my wet dry and a decent sized skimmer. Amonia/nitrites are always 0 and nitrates have been between 20-40 over the months. For some reason this tank is cursed. I place all the fish in a Q tank for 2-4 weeks depending but within 2 months they either stop eating or just seem to waste away and die. The only fish I have left is a blue velvet damsel that's been here for at least 6-8 months. Oh, and 2 cool starfish/snails/ and a green serpent that are doing great.

I guess on a positive side I'll have more time to dedicate to switching my 110g reef over to my 200 that is still not complete and I'll have some money from selling this tank. Any ideas on what I could get for it? It's an all glass 72g reef ready bowfront w/ oceanic cap and stand. Tank is in perfect condition minus a tiny scallop on the bottom side corner that was there when I got it.

I haven't give up yet on this hobby, all the corals in my 110g and 30 prop tank are doing incredibly well and the few fish I have left in them are doing good too. I work at a fish store and it's frustrating becasue people I work with and customers never seem to have the problems I do despite the fact I seem to do everything I can to prevent problems. Customers and friends just buy so many random fish and throw them right in with no complication. I keep them in q tanks, do regular water changes, run skimmers and constantly monitor water condition. I use a RO/DI unit, feed vitamin enriched foods and read up on every fish before I buy and make sure it's healthy and eating. But who has all the problem....I do.

:evil:

We had the same thing with our aggressive tank. pp puffer, tangs, lions, etc and every thing dies mysteriously so we also just sold our setup. The reef tank never loses a fish and our 20g also. For some reason the aggressives just never worked out for us either. We had a 90g with diy pine stand and custom pine diy canopy and we got 400$ for it. It was not special or reef ready just regular flourescent lighting also.

Ah, I hate to see you do this, you work so hard.
Another option....why not leave the tank fishless for a couple of months and then start over?

quarryshark said:
Ah, I hate to see you do this, you work so hard.
Another option....why not leave the tank fishless for a couple of months and then start over?

I was considering this but it's just so much work already, I'm trying to convert my 110 to a 200 as well as take care of my 30 prop tank, a 10g w/ an eyeless purple tang, a 50 fresh tank, 15g brackish(ready to go as well) and help my g/f with her 44g tank. I really was in love with the idea of keeping this a predator tank or possibly a tank with a few nice butterflies but I just can't seem to make it work.... :cry:

I'm sooo sorry for all your loses, I looked at your gallery and all your tanks looked very pretty, that is just a weird situation...since I don't really have an advice for you all I can tell you is that I'll pray for your tank, who knows...it may come back :wink:

where at in pennslyvania are you? you can usually pawn it off on e-bay just arrange for pickup only, or even put it in your local newspaper. I live in ohio an i would be more then welcome to buy it off of you but you wouldnt sell it for the price i would want it for, plus i can always go to my lfs and get a 75gl all-glass aquarium with the pine stand and glass tops for 220$

Back
Top Bottom