Giving up on sick fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
In idle moments I've wondered at what point to give up on a sick fish and dispose of humanely? I'd be interested in thoughts. I'd say I have gone anywhere from 2 days right across to about 4 weeks of trying all tricks in the book before admitting defeat. Some of the medicines are chicken-feed expense now whereas years ago there was no way I could afford them. The cost was too great and fish went sooner. That was life. But also I wonder not only on the financial side but also the cost in time and emotion versus the reward of fish keeping. At what point is enough to be enough?

Note this is all theoretical - I don't have a sick fish (bang wood numerous time).

Sick Fish

In idle moments I've wondered at what point to give up on a sick fish and dispose of humanely? I'd be interested in thoughts. I'd say I have gone anywhere from 2 days right across to about 4 weeks of trying all tricks in the book before admitting defeat. Some of the medicines are chicken-feed expense now whereas years ago there was no way I could afford them. The cost was too great and fish went sooner. That was life. But also I wonder not only on the financial side but also the cost in time and emotion versus the reward of fish keeping. At what point is enough to be enough?

Note this is all theoretical - I don't have a sick fish (bang wood numerous time).

Hello Del...

Interesting question. 99.9 percent of the things that go wrong with fish are water related. If you keep the water pure at all times, plant the tank well and feed a little bit of a variety of frozen, freeze dried and a tiny bit of flaked food, the fish will stay healthy and their chances of infection are very remote.

I don't put fish down. I let the old ones live out their lives in their tank. If they die and I can remove them, I do. If not, I allow the snails and other fish to remove the remains. I prefer to let nature take its course.

B

Hello Del...

Interesting question. 99.9 percent of the things that go wrong with fish are water related. If you keep the water pure at all times, plant the tank well and feed a little bit of a variety of frozen, freeze dried and a tiny bit of flaked food, the fish will stay healthy and their chances of infection are very remote.

B

+1 also qt new fish for at least a month to see if anything breaks out. Also new deco (rock,wood,gravel, sand, and ornaments) should be cleaned well and plants can be dipped in 3% peroxide to remove most unwanted hitchhikers.

Back
Top Bottom