GLA 6g Rimless 36-L - My First Iwagumi Inspired Scape Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You might want to add separators in the substrate to prevent the DHG from invading into your HC. I've seen some nice tanks start off with the HC and DHG planted in different areas and then grow together to the point its all mixed, which would be hard to separate.

T5HO's are good but how many watts / bulbs?

Here are my lights Deep Blue SolarMax HO2 Double 36" T5 Strip Light - 39w x2 + Moonlights

Hmmm, maybe I should just go with just the HC as a carpeting plant then?

That should be good.. Just swap out the actinic bulb for a 6500K, and you'll have a nice mixed color temp with the 10000K.

You can mix the HC and DHG if you want, just either use separators in the substrate if they're planted close to each other or plant the carpeting plants with some distance separating them.

That should be good.. Just swap out the actinic bulb for a 6500K, and you'll have a nice mixed color temp with the 10000K.

You can mix the HC and DHG if you want, just either use separators in the substrate if they're planted close to each other or plant the carpeting plants with some distance separating them.

On second though, I think I'll just use HC as a carpeting plant. Thanks! Oh, and I don't have to worry about background plants invading the HC, do I?

Not that I know of... background plants are bg plants for a reason, they get rather large and tall. You'll be able to easily control their expansion in to other areas. DHG, on the other hand, sends these little runners all over the place and just starts popping up. You'll end up with a mess that doesn't look too fun to separate. Look at this youtube vid I found as an example...
Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba' and dwarf hairgrass in my shrimp tank - YouTube

Looks like I hit another road bump!!! I need some advice on my HC. It seems to be carpeting in okay. However, I noticed s few yellow/brownish spots developing. Is this an iron/potash deficiency or something? Do I need to increase the dosing of the API Leaf Zone... or do I REALLY need to jump into using my dry ferts from GLA (EI or PPS-Pro or whatever)... I've still yet to do my homework on dosing the dry ferts but I still have a lot of Seachem and API left :)

img_2190592_0_f690d7a09166c8110f22a4ca129af294.jpg

I tested a couple weeks ago it was 5ppm. Do i need to test again?

Edit: Don't know why my app just attached two of the same pic? LOL

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121105_213310.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121105_213310.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 147
  • ForumRunner_20121105_213333.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121105_213333.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 141
Okay I'll retest... what level of nitrates do i want? Will stocking the tank more help if it's too low? My dry ferts pack has Potassium Nitrate (KNO3), maybe i need to dive in this EI dosing?

Here's my other theory...Do you know if activated carbon strips iron from the water? I've been running activated carbon since i dosed my tank with fenbenzenole to get rid of my nematodes.

Thanks!

It has been proposed before, but never proven in any meaningful way. I agree that you should start looking into more comprehensive dosing regimens.

Most people don't use carbon with plants.

The GLA dry ferts are the best way to supplement your plants. You can keep the Seachem stuff to have on have to target dose if you find a specific deficiency later on but you'll probably find you won't need them. Excell is usually the big exception.

Alright I got some homework to do tonight and tomorrow... EI or PPS-Pro, that is the question... I'll weigh in on the differences in my research. However, I do like that in PPS-Pro I won't have to do 50% PWC's weekly. Are there any other pros or cons that you guys can chime in on so that it can influence my decision on that? Plus I need to mix these dry ferts in my dispensers soon... I don't think they would be the same formula for both methods... so I need to decide soon. Thanks again everyone!

Hey Brian, are you dosing iron? My anubias have some bad leaves and I was wondering if they're out of iron since I haven't been dosing it.

Yeah I'm using API Leaf Zone.. It's Iron and Potash (potassium). It's suppose to be good for yellowing, which is usually a sign of an iron deficiency i believe.

Apparently, the lack of nitrogen might be the culprit. Although, there might be issues with the activate carbon i threw in the canister filter to help remove some meds from my tank i dosed a couple of weeks ago. To my understanding, carbon is used to remove metals and chemicals.. Could be sucking all the iron out of my tank... There is a correlation of when my HC started changing colors and when i added the carbon. Also my rotala colorata and ludwigia aren't as red. I'll remove the carbon tonight in case.

@Fort... I tested for Nitrates today and it's still just 5ppm.

Update time: Hit the 1+ Month mark...

I did a couple of things.... I removed the carbon from the filter. I did a partial water change with tank water from my community 'slightly' over-stocked nano cube with some new water. Maybe it will add some NO3 until I get my dry ferts mixed and going (EI vs. PPS-Pro... undecided still). Did a nice hefty dose of Leaf Zone (iron/potash). I added in the Hydor Theo heater in the back right corner. Thanks to my wannabe (black) lily pipes, the heater looks almost non-existent. The Pogostemon Erectus has grown pretty tall as I planned. My goal is to have it block my view of the filter equipment and heater. I think I'll be trimming the Ludwigia sp. Red and the Rotala Colorata soon to give it more of a bushy look.

Looks like it's all starting to come together nicely. Just need to solve the HC yellowing problem and order some shrimp already! LOL

It's been over a month since the initial planting... and here's how the tank looks today :)

8162677515_c8a1e9bd20_b.jpg

8162710334_4d3eeeaabe_b.jpg

And... FLAME ON!!!

8162710292_a82b259059_b.jpg

Very nice!

I would look into pps pro and start dosing. Do you have a PO4 test kit? I think at a minimum dosing KNO3 is a good idea.

Sick pictures! Let us know when you gets the ferts in and which method you choose.

Can hardly believe those pics!

Beautiful tank! You're right, when I first saw the pictures I thought the heater wasn't even there. It's practically invisible.

This tank is coming together nicely. The shrimp will love it. What shrimp do you plan to get?

@Fort - I don't have a PO4 test kit... Do I really need one? I'll start dosing the dry ferts soon so KNO3 is in the mix.

@Coralline - Thank you :) I think I'm leaning more towards PPS-Pro. I already have the Green Ferts Pack from GLA. I just have to mix them up with some distilled water. Just got the digital scale in too... this oughta be fun!

@Betta - Thank you! I think I'm going to roll with some Red Rili Shrimp. Since I'm new to shrimp, I want something easy. Since they're basically a modified RCS, they should be hardy. Eventually, I want to get in to those Crystal Reds and Tigers of some sort.. but one step at a time. :)

Back
Top Bottom