Glass Catfish Turned Cloudy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
2 days ago i bought 3 glass catfish, they all looked perfectly healthy at the lfs when i got them home 2 had turned cloudy. One died 2 hrs after acclimation, one appears to be healthy still but the third one is still cloudy and has torn fins. Will he make it or will he infect the only healthy one?

2 days ago i bought 3 glass catfish, they all looked perfectly healthy at the lfs when i got them home 2 had turned cloudy. One died 2 hrs after acclimation, one appears to be healthy still but the third one is still cloudy and has torn fins. Will he make it or will he infect the only healthy one?
Glass Catfish require groups of six, and pretty good water conditions. What are your current water parameters? Are you using an API Freshwater Master Test Kit?

Surely it dieing just after putting it in the tank must mean it had some underlying issue. I will get more but not until im sure these two are ok

Surely it dieing just after putting it in the tank must mean it had some underlying issue. I will get more but not until im sure these two are ok

I agree on not wanting to add more, however waiting to add more glass cats could also increase stress due to there only being 2 in the tank?Just thoughts...Hope you have better luck with them as they are awesome fish!

So what should i do about the cloudy one is he a threat to my other fish's health?

Glass cats absolutely need to be stocked in schools, but that can't be the cause of your issues here. You would notice excessive hiding and shyness, possibly problems feeding, maybe eventually death..but not in two days.

What are you water parameters?

How did you acclimate them?

If your nitrates are in check and your tank is free of ammonia and nitrites, and you acclimated them slowly by introducing small amounts of tank water at a time (or drip), then you will probably just have to call it bad stock. They could have been mishandled or had a rough time in shipment, can't say for sure.

I don't believe the remaining cloudy cats are a danger to your other fish, but I can't say for certain. It's a good idea to invest in quarantine set-up if you can, so you can observe new fish for a period of time before adding them to your display tank, and avoid the spread of disease.

Last edited:
Glass cats absolutely need to be stocked in schools, but that can't be the cause of your issues here. You would notice excessive hiding and shyness, possibly problems feeding, maybe eventually death..but not in two days.

What are you water parameters?

How did you acclimate them?

If your nitrates are in check and your tank is free of ammonia and nitrites, and you acclimated them slowly by introducing small amounts of tank water at a time (or drip), then you will probably just have to call it bad stock. They could have been mishandled or had a rough time in shipment, can't say for sure.

I don't believe the remaining cloudy cats is a danger to your other fish, but I can't say for certain. It's a good idea to invest in quarantine set-up if you can, so you can observe new fish for a period of time before adding them to your display tank, and avoid the spread of disease.
A quarantine tank is definitely a worthy investment, I hope to set one up soon. I also see the same question, so what ARE your water parameters??

Its to late to test my water now i will get back to you all tomoz thanks everybody

First i fill a 10 litre bucket with water from my tank then put the bag on top for 15 mins to come to temp then i open the bag and add some tank water into the bag and leave for 10 mins. After all this is done i empty the bag into the bucket then net them into the tank

I'm usually not able to do a full on drip acclimation myself, but it does need to be done more gradually then this. Float the bag until it comes to temp (right in the tank is best). Every 10 minutes remove a small amount of bag water and replace with an equal amount of tank water. Repeat until the bag water has pretty much become tank water. Or drip acclimate. Which is wonderful and easy. Acclimating Tropical Fish to Your Fish Tank

Back
Top Bottom