Glass Fish and Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal_fanatic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right now I have four glass fish and a female betta in a 10 gallon tank. The petsmart people (who I don't trust) told me this would work since female bettas work okay with community fish. I'm just wanting reassurance that this should work. I didn't want to get the glass catfish looking ones b/c I was afraid they'd aggrivate the betta but these fish I have right now are fairly small like 1" long or so.

Since they're clear and community, should they work okay?

yes my dear . female bettas are not aggressive and therefore problem to any community aquarium . so your glass-fishes are totally safe with her...

even ,In some cases I have seen happy staying of community fishes with male bettas

Female bettas are not AS aggressive in most cases. We've had 2 that had to be by themselves. Our first one got ahold of a neon tetra and shook it like a dog shakes a rag toy. Our newest female beat up the male when we tried spawning them and has killed 2 otos and 1 julii cory. (Bet that hurt our male's pride) Now the 2 we have in our community 10 gallon are doing fine. They're in with platys, ghost shrimp, guppys, otos and corys.

From what I'm seeing size in the female might have something to do with it. The blue female we tried to spawn is a big girl. As shown in my album for the 5.5 gal betta tank. The girls in the 10 are little. The platys are bigger than they are! So perhaps starting them small in a community tank gets them used to other fish. I know both the aggressives ones were from Petsmart and stored in those horrible cups. While to nice ones were from my real LFS and were in a tank together. Already working on that sisterhood.

But this is just what I've observed, mileage may vary. :)

Yea my betta is one I rescued in a spur of the moment decision from wal*mart x.x god knows how much they actually feed those fish or take care of them.

Anyways they lasted the night. Just hope it keeps up, she's not extremely big and the glass fish are schooling so hopefully they'll just leave each other alone.

TY for the awesome answers =D

(I was more worried for the betta at first now I see it's the other way around)

I thought that glass catfish require a minimum of 15/20 gallons. They are also community fish, and if you have a lot you can see them all school and look at the same direction and swim in the same pace. I really wanted glass catfish but my tank is only 10 gallons.

No no I got the glass fish, not the catfish b/c of that reason ^^ They told me at petsmart they needed 10 gallons soooo I thought they'd make good Betta tankmates

male betta

I have a male betta in my community tank,he tried to get the other fish at first but is a very clumsy swimmer and could never catch them.Now he never bothers any fish.Maybe i got lucky or maybe its a myth they cant be with other fish.Either way I love his long flowing tail in the tank with all the other fish,it really adds something different.

Back
Top Bottom