Glass Lid. Yay or nay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe bulk reef supply sells that clear pond netting. The trouble with eggcrate is that fish see the holes, and if they are smaller than the holes, they will jump right through them. I don't know how many times I've heard of folks covering their tanks, all but a nickel sized hole and their wrasse still jumped out.

Not worried so much about jumpers. Just feels eerie with that big light hanging there over open water.

What's the Benefit of more evaporation? Oh and how much does a glass top reduce lighting? I clean it once a month.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394925506.472526.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394925534.992411.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394925550.328761.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394925574.475008.jpg

Ok broskis and broskettes.

I got glass on the front under the egg crate for support in case the light were to fall.

No corals are under the glass, call it an experiment.

Gonna try this set up and see if that frogspawn will open up

What's the Benefit of more evaporation? Oh and how much does a glass top reduce lighting? I clean it once a month.
It's not necessarily the evap that's the benefit. It's the gas exchange. The water surface being in contact with as much fresh air as possible.

The BRS mesh is the best option I have found. It cuts out almost no light, it promotes excellent gas exchange, it's light weight and it keeps the fish in the tank, not the floor.

More interested in keeping my lights out of the tank....

Eggcrate and/or glass won't keep the light fixture out of the tank if it falls. Maybe you should work on securing the light fixture instead. How do you have it mounted?

I have my lights hanging from a shelf anchored into studs. And I have open top tank with no lid at all. No fear of light fixtures falling in. Just the dust that accumulates on them. But cleaning that is part of my reg maintenance.

It's mounted on hooks. Worst case is one hook will come out. I have it rigged so that both hooks come out its sturdy enough to catch it.

Maybe get different hooks of you are not comfortable with the ones you have.

Can't offer any as I don't know how you currently have it mounted or your specific fixtures mounting options. Just check out all available fasteners at the hardware store. There are a lot of options to fit your needs. Maybe look at carabiners or equivalent if you are concerned with slipping.

Back
Top Bottom