glass top or canopy???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishSim

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm planning to buy/upgrade to a bigger tank (29-33g). I've been searching classified postings and there are many to choose from. What are the benefits/flaws with tanks that have glass tops versus plastic canopies?

Any thoughts on this topic for a relatively new hobbyist?

With glass tops the cost is lower, they don't need as much vertical room if on racks, and you can line them up under shop lights. For show tanks you probably want the full plastic hood or a canopy. Unless you prefer an open top tank (and fish that don't like to jump).

cool I just put the canopy from my 29 onto a 20long when I moved my betta out of the community (just 5 neon tetras and a couple cories, still he preferred solitude) and now the 29 is evaporating much faster than usual. Going to order a glass canopy off Drs Foster and Smith since I have so many lights that are preferable to the flourescent bulbs as I plan to do a haevily planted tank.

I also had this question, wasnt sure if the canopy was useful besides fur looks and "matching" black lamp and whatnot.

One thing I head people say on here before: Don't ever put one on the floor while doing WCs, apparently tons of people have stepped on them, its like an inside joke almost :)

cool I just put the canopy from my 29 onto a 20long when I moved my betta out of the community (just 5 neon tetras and a couple cories, still he preferred solitude) and now the 29 is evaporating much faster than usual. Going to order a glass canopy off Drs Foster and Smith since I have so many lights that are preferable to the flourescent bulbs as I plan to do a haevily planted tank.

I also had this question, wasnt sure if the canopy was useful besides fur looks and "matching" black lamp and whatnot.

One thing I head people say on here before: Don't ever put one on the floor while doing WCs, apparently tons of people have stepped on them, its like an inside joke almost :)

So if you have glass is it cut in places that the filter or any other equipment can fit? Are there feeding holes?

I'd imagine they'll be quite heavy as well. But I do see the advantages of having different types of lighting available too with a glass top.

Back
Top Bottom