Glass Top vs. Egg Crate vs. ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

player676

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm almost ready to get this thing started. At least in terms of buying some of the equipment (I can also put some things on my chanukah list :) ).

I'll be doing a 180g FOWLR tank. I have lighting (2 hoods from my freshwater days) and I have 3 glass hinged tops because thats how the all glass tank came.

I've heard about egg crate, but I guess I'm not getting the problem. Maybe I don't need it to, I'm just trying to make sure I understand things.

1. Why is a glass top bad?

2. I have zero DIY abilities. I've never used my hands in my life (in terms of any kind of building), so how do I do this egg crate thing. I went to Home Depot and they had no idea what I was talking about. Can it be bought online in sheets and is it easy to cut?

3. Some people have mentioned no tops at all. How do they do that with lighting.

Thanks

I dont have any tops. Surface aggitation is how your tank gets aeration. If glass tops are on then you have a poor gas exchange and PH will be off. Glass tops will also heat up your tank.

Egg crate is what you see on CF lights in schools/offices and such. It looks like graph paper.

it is easy if they have legs . Egg crate is easy to cut , just make a template for the tank taking in to consideration that you have equipment cords ect and cut away , a dremel works well for removing a rung or 2 on the eggcrate here is our tank with the eggcrate
10 gallon

7gmb

If you buy egg crate online, you will end up paying more for shipping than the actual egg crate. I found mine at Home Depot.

Okay, I found some lights with legs like on your tank at drsfosterandsmith. I have no idea what lighting to get. I read the pinned section, but still confused. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I want good lighting. The Tank is 72 inches long and will be a FOWLR. I guess one day I might do coral, but there is no current plan to do so. I like the blue lunar lighting, but its not a deal breaker. Can I get some thoughts on companies, wattage and the like?

Thanks again!

Edited to add:

I'm considering this one:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12109&N=2004+113544

The 72inch one I think.

Thoughs?

Looks like a decient light , I would say that you would be set for some beginner corals with that light ....what is the tank gallon wise ?If you want blue lights there are several diffrent styles that you can get that would work ... I use bullet lites on our 7gmb that I have had for 4 years and also used them on the 2.5 gallon and love em

My tank is 180g and if possible I would like a combo light that allows for regular light and blue/lunar light.

The home depot guys never know what egg crate is. You'll find it in the lighting dept where the fluorescent lights are. it's the lighting grid used in suspended ceilings.

That light set up had the lunar light built into it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom