Glo Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scoobydoo11693

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, so I just purchased a 20 gallon long for a glo fish tank. I just have a couple quick questions about the stocking. 1. would 12 danios and 8 glo fish tetras be too much? AQadvisor says it's fine, if not, how many of each can I fit? 1. would a fluval C3 or aquaclaer 50 be too much of a current for the glofish and glo tetras? I know the regular glo fish can probably take the current but can the tetras? Thanks a lot.

IMO, leave out the Glo barbs for sure, and possibly a couple of danios. When your fish grow to adult size, you'll see what I mean. :)

aqadvisor.com give you an idea about max stocking for your setup. I would remove one of the species like barbs and increase the number of glo tetra.

GloTetra are fine in currents, my Glo tank has both an HOB filter, my sump filter, a circulation pump and a bubble wall and it doesn't cause any issues for my Tetras. They seem to enjoy it actually. I second the vote to leave the GloBarbs out until you have a big enough tank for all three species. The GloBarbs are based on Albino Tiger Barbs, which tend to be very nippy unless kept in decently large schools (10+), which can be problematic when trying to balance them with the Tetra and Danio varieties. The Danios can be nippy too if kept in groups smaller than 8-10+, so don't cut back on them to make room for the Barbs either. The Tetras are fine in a group of 5, they don't seem as fussy.

If you're not planning on having any live plants in the tank, aim to understock compared to what AqAdvisor recommends, as the nitrates will build up fairly quickly even with weekly changes. When I was stocking my 20 gallon long Glo tank I was still getting up to 50 nitrates a week even while doing 50% weekly water changes. Once I added a sump/refugium combo stuffed with live plants and lava rocks things were much more stable and manageable :)

Back
Top Bottom